Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74 Plaid Interior

74 Plaid Interior

Anyone have a photo of the plaid interior offered in Euro Carreras in 74?
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Yes, and Tony has the fabric.....
    http://www.autobahninteriors.com/ check under misc. pictures.

regards,
    Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you Eric. I have NOS, Edmund Harris black watch plaid inserts for the seats. Were the European door panels plaid, cross stitched (quilted?) as well? How about the rear bulkhead, the rear side panels, and the jump seats. I'll forward you photos of Tony Garcia's restoration of a 76 Turbo plaid interior.
    356 Reg #16227
    Early S Reg #700
    R Gruppe #340

Steven,

I've seen door panels done... but I haven't seen how they were done OE style, Tony will know. I've only seen the rear seats done, not the side panels or rear panel done. But this is a whole new area for me, and I've still a lot to learn.

Note that I've acquired all 3 of the original plaids from 1973, and working on getting that material reproduced.

cheers,
    Eric

I think that the plaid used for 1974 was different from the ones in the photos above, those were introduced in 1975 with the arrival of the 930 and were standard for my76-my79.

Here's the Euro brochure for the optional trim for 1974:

Attachment 79612

Plaid inserts on 1974 carreras are extremly rare, I only saw it once.
    More common is the "tweed" interior, which was standard and is now reproduced very well by cartex in germany. Here's an example

Attachment 79611

The tartan was available as a seat insert only or a complete interior (door panels, rear seats, rear panels) as a freee option on the turbo and as an option on the other cars. I'm a big fan of it, and have green/blue tartan inserts on the sport seats of my 1975 turbo.

Attachment 79610
    Regards,
    Andrea
    Andrea
    Early S registry #1082

Thumbs up

FWIW-

When friend Mike Messcaro reupholstered his great '74 US Carrera he picked what he said was mid-'70s Porsche Turbo optional tartan plaid.

............ and it's a real show stopper......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Andrea,

Thanks for posting the 74 materials brochure. I wasn't aware, and hadn't dug that deep into the early material changeover years. I thought the 73 madras was one year only.

Jeff Smiths former Silver T that was featured in Excellence has the red madras in it, perhaps there's a few pictures here of that material. I believe there's a member here that also has a set of pictures of the OE material, hopefully he will post those pics.

regards,
    Eric

I don't remember seeing any plaid in 74 but we ordered some for 75s and 76s.
    Usually on Carreras or Turbos.

Here is my 74 Carrera in 76. I liked the plaid so much I special ordered some ($660) and had it installed. The seats were 76 aftermarket Recaros so they are wrong. But I think the rest is pretty close. So much for originality....It wasn't so important when they were new. ( I also changed the color from signal orange to slate grey) We just made them the way we wanted.
    H

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Steven,

I've seen door panels done... but I haven't seen how they were done OE style, Tony will know. I've only seen the rear seats done, not the side panels or rear panel done. But this is a whole new area for me, and I've still a lot to learn.

Note that I've acquired all 3 of the original plaids from 1973, and working on getting that material reproduced.

cheers,
    Eric
    Eric, are you planning to reproduce the orange?
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    Eric, are you planning to reproduce the orange?
    Ron,

That's not it.... not sure what that fabric is from.

But yes, I'll be doing all 3 colors. I have another fabric project to finish first

Pictures of all 3 fabric colors will be posted here later.

cheers,
    Eric