Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Repro Shift Knob

Scope Creep Poster Child

Installing Repro Shift Knob

I purchased one of the 901 repro shift knobs from Performance (very nice product, by the way), and thought that I would try to avoid use of a mallet to install it. However, pushing just with the palm of my hand isn't getting the job done. Anyone installed one of these? If I cracked this thing, I'm pretty sure I'd cry!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Shift Knob

I assume the knob hole fits comfortably over the shifter, but the round retainer ring inside the knob does not properly seat around the shifter.
    Here are a few tricks I used:

1) Pull the retainer ring out of the knob and place it around the shifter and then try to install the knob. Only apply pressure from the top - not at an angle - or you may break the base of the knob.

2) You can place duct tape directly underneath the retainer ring to increase the shifter diameter, if necessary.

3) You can temporarily place electrical tape or duct tape just below the retainer ring to stop it from sliding down when you push the knob over the shifter.

4) Pull the retainer ring out of the shift knob, stuff some newspaper or paper towels into the knob and then re-insert the retainer ring. This helps keep the retainer ring from sliding into the top of the knob where it can't make contact with the shifter.

My brain is now empty. Good luck!!
    George Mihalko
    S Registry #1130
    R-Gruppe #540

1973 911 S
    1972 911 RS Replica
    1960 Roadster
    2006 S Cab

I simply hammered it with my hand, in warm weather....and the knob was well installed until my wife gave the car a try, and in her nervousness, pulled the knob off...clearly it can be tighter, but I don't mind if it slips off from time to time.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

The originals seemed to be made from Bakelite. They were brittle as heck, especially 20-30 years later.
    Can't say what the new formula is but Lewis is dead on the money with the idea of a warm install and the musings of mihalkog are very note worthy.

Now go out and hit with a ball peen hammer. (don't, I mean DON'T)

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Thaks for your responses. I had the same experience as Lewis, except that it was me that pulled it off the shifter. What if I cut a hole in a piece of soft pine a little bigger than the diameter of the knob's lens, place the piece of wood over the top of the knob, and then use a dead blow mallet to (carefully) drive the knob onto the shifter? This would be in addition to the helpful measures provided in above posts.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Or, you can use some automotive "panel" epoxy and it will never come off again.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Scott,

I have no problem with your plan, maybe you want to line the pine with some felt or something to prevent scratches. Or maybe we are all making too much of this.

Still, I have changed driving habits rather than changing mounting methods

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

There are some really nice (and inexpensive) rubber dead blow mallets out there. Lot less chance of doing damage. I've got one with a square head and one with a round head. Both can be used to beat things to your heart's content without risk of damage.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Maybe try using two crush sleeves instead of one. I never had this problem. Perhaps, you received a defective item.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

member #1515
    do these use a crush sleeve or something else? If it uses a crush sleeve make sure the sleeve is in past the ridge in the knob or you will crack it!
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs