Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys are going to need to dig deep on this one...

You guys are going to need to dig deep on this one...

I need to ID some cams. They are built up using turbo cores 930 105 143 1R and reground. I believe they are an Andial grind as the number stamped into the end is "AN 123". I called Andial and they were not any help. Anyone have a resource to decode these with respect to lift and duration? John at DR Camshafts tried to help, but couldn't. I checked Elgin and it looks like the cam that these should mimic is a 906 cam.
    FWIW...the rest of the engine looks like a built up 3.0 MFI twin plug RSR. I need to know how closely the MFI pump and cams are corelated. I could always send these of to get "cam-doctored" if the board fails me....

Speedo
    registry# 1283

The ONLY

way to know for sure. Is to put your cam(s) on a profiler and they can tell right away.

-Allen-

Yeah, I know...

Nobody local is set up with a profiler (cam doctor) for Porsche cams. I just got off the phone with an engine builder who has a machine but it is set up for american muscle. If someone can decode the Andial numbers, I would be set.
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    If someone can decode the Andial numbers, I would be set.
    Why don't you just call Andial? <-- Edit: I'm a moron. Missed the "already called part."

Or, box 'em up and mail 'em to WebCam or Elgin or one of the "cam guys" on the bird...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Send them to John for a run on his Cam Doctor. It will tell all and costs under $50...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Uhmmm...good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Why don't you just call Andial?

Or, box 'em up and mail 'em to WebCam or Elgin or one of the "cam guys" on the bird...
    I called Andial and they were both less than helpful, and told me to to the same. Said they didn't keep track of their "grinds". Basically just wanted me off the phone. It worked
    I talked to John at DR and he said to send him one cam and he will ID it for $25. If I don't get anyone to ID the grind in a day or so...I'll do that.

Still surprised nobody recognizes the engine...a lot of $$ were spent to build this off a stock 81 3.0 and it is not likely this was a DIY project.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

I doubt it's a 906 cam as they aren't a super great profile to use with MFI ... bit too peaky.

More than likely it's a modified "S" grind ... go here: http://www.andial.com/pc_eng_cams.html

Scroll down and you'll notice that the Andial "S" cam is the only one with "123" in the part number.
    -Marco

Still surprised nobody recognizes the engine...a lot of $$ were spent to build this off a stock 81 3.0 and it is not likely this was a DIY project.

Speedo
    Don't be. I bought an "unknown" motor rumored to have been built by Steve Weiner/Jeff Gamroth. I decided to tear it down anyway...MISTAKE. That motor was done to the nines; It was a 9:5:1 CR, 2.4 with Solex cams and all the go-nice goodies. I should have slapped carbs on it and driven it forever.

Funny thing is...no one could place it. Jeff and Steve said it sounded familiar and it was definitely their spec, but this was only apparent after the tear down.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

That's why we love you Tony....thanks for the link

So...that would make sense with the 2.2 S MFI pump...I guess the question would then be how does that combination "map-out" with the 3.0 10.5-1 pistons?
    BTW Tony...it is Friday night...you got a life?

Speedo
    registry# 1283

So...that would make sense with the 2.2 S MFI pump...I guess the question would then be how does that combination "map-out" with the 3.0 10.5-1 pistons?
    BTW Tony...it is Friday night...you got a life?

Speedo
    First, it's Marco ... not Tony.

My old man DOES have a life so he's out with my mom painting the town ... or something. I, on the other hand, am chilling in my home office with Metallica on VH1 Classic and the occasional YouTube Porsche video cranked WAAAY up.

The answer to your question is simple: You've got a VERY close approximation of the motor that I built for The Blue Dog.

-3.0L case/crank/rods
    -10.5:1 JE pistons w/Nikasil barrels
    -Ported twin-plug heads
    -Bastard MFI - 2.0L "S" throttle bodies and stacks (bored to match ports) and a "mystery" T pump that was purported to be fueled for a 2.8L RSR (and Ebay gamble that paid off)
    -Web Cam 120/104 grind ... essentially a modified "S" cam

It's a motor that'll spin to 8000RPM but does most of its work from about 4000-7300. Nice, wide power band with a lot of usable torque from the larger displacement. It's a fantastic setup that is REALLY fun with close gears.

Jeff Higgins is running a similar setup in his car, too. MFI 3.0L ... although I think he's running "E" cams.

Here's a pic of my motor ... because this thread is useless without pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Marco