Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a 968

Thoughts on a 968

Thoughts on a 968:

I test drove one this weekend and I was mildly surprised at the following;

-Vario-cam
    -The seating position
    -The suspension
    -Ease of shifting (when compared to a 915 )

Comments...
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I love them. I am looking for a very nice to outstanding 89 944 Turbo as we speak!

The 944 Turbos had more (and if you want to modify them LOTS more power) than the 968. The 944/968 is still one of the best balanced cars ever made, they are a joy to drive.

Changing clutches is a chore. Some parts from the Audi parts bin can be hard to source, but for people used to older cars, nothing to bad that I know of.

Because they have been cheap to buy people who can't really afford to maintain them have had some, and you need to be careful of deferred maintained. Timing chains must be done on time on these cars or they make a very expensive noise.

On the 944 the front control arms were a weak point if you are going to track the car. For normal driving not an issue. I don't know if they fixed them for the 968.

That's all I remember off the top of my head.

So many questions, so few answers....

Love my 944 S2.

I have the model just before the 968. My '91 944 S2 really handles well. The 3L has lots of torq and plenty of top end for my needs. This is my second 944. I find them to be very comfortable and not too pricey if you stay on top of things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Had a 93 M030 I sold a year plus a few months ago. Loved it. First of the 924-944 style cars made entirely at Zufenhausen by Porsche. Something like 86% of the parts are unique to the 968 despite similarities that are obvious. The Variocam would spook most cars including the 944 TurboS. All you had to do was keep it in the power band at about 4,200 rpm. Timing belt changes at 45K not the 30K like the 944's and the clutch replacement is $500 to $600 less than a 944. Does have some problems especially the rear pinion and the cam shaft gears which tend to loose teeth if not adjusted properly. Great car. Heard that Porsche stopped making them because the entry level 968's were making the mainstay 964's dust. They made 11 thousand and change worldwide, about half were cabrolets and the entire run including Coupes were row and remainder US so they are relatively rare. There used to be a very active owners group called the 968 Registry. I went to one of there gatherings in 05. A good group of guys. I'd buy one again if I could find the right one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

Quote Originally Posted by BBausser View Post
    Had a 93 M030 I sold a year plus a few months ago. Loved it. First of the 924-944 style cars made entirely at Zufenhausen by Porsche. Something like 86% of the parts are unique to the 968 despite similarities that are obvious. The Variocam would spook most cars including the 944 TurboS. All you had to do was keep it in the power band at about 4,200 rpm. Timing belt changes at 45K not the 30K like the 944's and the clutch replacement is $500 to $600 less than a 944. Does have some problems especially the rear pinion and the cam shaft gears which tend to loose teeth if not adjusted properly. Great car. Heard that Porsche stopped making them because the entry level 968's were making the mainstay 964's dust. They made 11 thousand and change worldwide, about half were cabrolets and the entire run including Coupes were row and remainder US so they are relatively rare. There used to be a very active owners group called the 968 Registry. I went to one of there gatherings in 05. A good group of guys. I'd buy one again if I could find the right one.
    The timing belt change is at a longer interval on the 968's but it is every bit as critical that it be done on schedule or a bit early.

If you are going to modify the car, and want a really fast car, I'd go with the 944 turbo. If you are not a turbo person, I'd go with the latest, best kept car you can find. In other words a 968.

On the clutch, my issue isn't the cost, I'm just saying that it's a pita to do yourself.

I'd avoid a tiptronic for 2 reasons. 1 I thought it was a rotten transmission in the 968's, 2. a lot of the internals are pretty hard to source, or they were the last time I was looking for them anyway!

Let us know what you do!

Thanks for the input!

I am on the fence in regards to the 968 that I looked at; I feel it is priced to high in its current state of imperfection.

The last price posed was 15k; no maintenance records presented; I am waiting for the dealership principal to email me back as it is/was his car.

Excellence buyer’s guide is out this month with $8,237-$12,538 listed. I know the guide fairs low for our cars but 968s too? KBB is also $8,275-$11,850.

These do seem slightly rare as you guys mention but do they really command these prices?

Issues,

-Rocker welting shrunken (both sides)
    -Headlight housing damaged
    -Rear deck seal seemed flattened (old)
    -Drivers side seat wear
    -Drivers side carpet pulling away from door threshold
    -Light door dent
    -Front lower valence not fully fastened
    -Rear bumper seal shrunken
    -Drivers side taillight loose
    -Airbag light on Dash
    -Single dash crack
    -Possible oil/PS leak passenger side
    -Possible exhaust leak cold
    -Had to be jump started from sitting (battery)
    -Rear brakes had decent wear (I think it had Pagids all around; quite loud)

Option Codes

C02-Catalytic Converter (USA)
    220-Limited Slip Dif
    231-Choice of Tires
    331-AM/FM Cassette
    403-Cast 17” Wheels
    437-Comfort Seat Left
    454-Automatic Speed Control (Cruise Control)
    850-Sunroof
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

It sounds like a typical beat up 968 to me. I personally know of a Blue 968 that is owned by a local tech here and he has books and books of reciepts on the car. He was trying to sell it last fall for 10k.

I know the car too and it has rebuilt front suspension, new clutch new water pump, timing belts and a few other items.

That car is clean and sorted. For 15k I would keep looking. There was a 55k Mile car for 13.5 In the Chicago Tribune a few weeks ago.

They are out there, it doesn't sound like a good buy for even close to 15k.

The 968 is a fun car, I owned a black 968 that was almost the last 968 sent to america. I loved the car, very nice every day driver almost too refined. Lots of fun. I bought it in 2002 and had it for 2 years until my son was born. I paid 13 for the car in 2002 it had 48k miles on it and I sold it for the same price in 2004 with 60k miles on it. It took me almost 7 months to sell the 968. It was as new. The only thing I did while I owned it was new timing belts, brakes and tires. Never an issue.

If you want one and you can afford 15k you can probably find one hellova 968 for that.

They do command pretty high prices still considering. Nice ones seem to be far and few between though. Sadly they really were nothing special when they came out and most people used them as daily drivers.

I would love to own another 968 some day. I think if I found a beat up one I would make a 968 Turbo S replica. If your looking for some more 968 information and even cars goto Rennlist, there are quite a few 968 owners there and you will get alot of information and mabey even some more leads on a few 968s for sale. If you really spent some time looking I would bet you could find quite a few of them for sale at the moment.

Just my 2 cents! Hope this helps. If you find a 968 let me know I still have some misc stuff from mine that never went with the car.

Jon
    72T Coupe - hotrod.
    72S "Tangie"
    73S Poop Brown
    69T Irish Green
    69S Secret Project
    S Registry Dues Paying member #1438

$15K is high unless it's pristine and properly optioned. The best option package was the M030 which included bigger brakes, coil overs, stiffer springs, adjustable sway bar and 17" Cup wheels as well as a few other parts. Unfortunately less than 10% of all produced were M030's. A few 968 Club Sports made there way to the US and featured lightweight carpets, roll up windows and no sunroofs and A/C. They are not DOT legal but most owners found ways to get them tagged. And the ultimate were the 968 Turbo's maybe 12 made and they absolutely kicked A**. There is a place in Pa. called the RS Barn I think that does some neat things with the 968's as well as a place in Arizona, can't recall who they are, but they do some awesome Turbo conversions. Excellence featured a 968 with a LT1 in it a couple of years ago. I saw the car right after the article came out at Road Atlanta. It was eating up most everything on the track. The owner and guy who converted it was from Alabama. Will always rate these cars high on my list as one of the best Porsche's made.
    Currently:
    67 3.6 Rocket "Silver"
    62 T6 Outlaw Coupe "ole Yellow"
    65 F100 Custom Cab Flairside Shortbed

Gone but not forgotten in last 2 years:
    67S Concours King
    67 912 Vintage Racer
    68 912 Flipper
    83 911SC
    93 Mo30 968

too many cars before that

Early S Registry # 787
    R Gruppe # 551

"its better to wear out then rust out"

I passed on this one; Pass on any tips for any LSD 6-spd Coupes.

Thanks,
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    S Reg #1074

968 . . . .

'94, Iris blue/two-tone grey, 6-spd, LSD, 46k mi . . .

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Asking $23.8k (show 'em your price guides)

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes