Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.2S engine upgrade to RS spec?

Question 2.2S engine upgrade to RS spec?

Found this in an old post (http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...&postcount=335) and have come across similar phrases in various 911 ads. Must admit their meaning eludes me.

Included with the car is the Porsche Certificate of Authenticity ... This particular car was restored in the mid-1990’s and the engine was rebuilt to 2.7L 210hp 911RS spec by the respected Porsche tuning firm Andial in California.

[1] ... and an engine rebuild totaling more than $16,000 at that time as well,

[2] ... saw more significant expenditure on the engine, suspension, transmission and rebuilt fuel injection pump ... totaling more than $10,000

[3] ... the owner took the Porsche to Andial racing in Santa Ana, CA and they took the engine and transmission out and rebuilt it again at a cost of another $8,000

So, here's an engine that's been tinkered with at least 3 times (see numbers in itlics below). I'm trying to understand roughly what was done to this engine (and others like it in other cars): in other words, what on earth does a 2.2 rebuild to 2.7 spec mean? what is kept and what is typically replaced? Is that engine then still "matching numbers"? Someone please enlighten me...

As long as the case stays the same, then it is matching numbers. Obviuosly, they spent too much money on this engine for it to need rebuilding again in a short amount of time, wanted performance upgrades such as head studs, rods and crank.

The injection system on a 2.4s is identical to the 2.7RS, minus the space cam in the injection pump. With that said, the 2.2 injection system is nearly identical to the 2.4s, which is nearly identical to the 2.7RS. So, if it were me with a 2.2S and I wanted a 2.7RS, I would just add the P&C (pistons and cylinders) from an RS and be done with it. Cam and drive train is all the same also between an S and RS.

A lot of folks will misrepresent an engine as RS spec rebuild with carbs instead of MFI. They may get nearly equal HP, but it will still be a different motor.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by orange911 View Post
    As long as the case stays the same, then it is matching numbers. Obviuosly, they spent too much money on this engine for it to need rebuilding again in a short amount of time, wanted performance upgrades such as head studs, rods and crank.

The injection system on a 2.4s is identical to the 2.7RS, minus the space cam in the injection pump. With that said, the 2.2 injection system is nearly identical to the 2.4s, which is nearly identical to the 2.7RS. So, if it were me with a 2.2S and I wanted a 2.7RS, I would just add the P&C (pistons and cylinders) from an RS and be done with it. Cam and drive train is all the same also between an S and RS.

A lot of folks will misrepresent an engine as RS spec rebuild with carbs instead of MFI. They may get nearly equal HP, but it will still be a different motor.
    Now there's language I do understand! Thanks for clearing this up for me. I was indeed mindboggled at all those $$$ flying around on a single engine. As you say it's likely just a case of going overboard on what should have been a fairly simple upgrade on a similar design, if I read you correctly. Thanks!

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    following the 2.7RS recipe you should replace the injection pump with a 2.4 and install the 2.7 space cam as it wont fit in a 2.2 pump. the thrust is built into the 2.4/2.7 space cam and in the 2.2 it is separate. Gordon

member #1515
    the crank is different on a 2.2 than on the 2.4 and 2.7 so maybe all they used was the block? I think the biggest you can go with a 2.2 crank is 2.5 which is a very nice motor if built right.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

And do you suppose this Andial firm knows how to build such a thing correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by IPF View Post
    And do you suppose this Andial firm knows how to build such a thing correctly?
    They should. They built their reputation on racing engines.

Converting a 2.2 to a 2.7RS would also require some major case modifications since these would not be the late 7R cases.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

member #1515
    Im sure Andial does know how to do it although why the rebuild in such a short period of time. I have over 50,000miles on my 2.4s to 2.7rs with no problems. The other question is wouldn't it have been cheaper to start with a 2.4 engine?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Hmm, the more I read about this - thanks by the way for your input - the more intrigued I get. This particular car has re-surfaced across the Atlantic and is now in Germany. Going there to have a look this weekend.

FYI, Andial was the main engine-builder for Porsche Motorsport North America in the 935 and 956/962 days. The factory turned their duties over to Andial for America.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425