Found this in an old post (http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...&postcount=335) and have come across similar phrases in various 911 ads. Must admit their meaning eludes me.

Included with the car is the Porsche Certificate of Authenticity ... This particular car was restored in the mid-1990’s and the engine was rebuilt to 2.7L 210hp 911RS spec by the respected Porsche tuning firm Andial in California.

[1] ... and an engine rebuild totaling more than $16,000 at that time as well,

[2] ... saw more significant expenditure on the engine, suspension, transmission and rebuilt fuel injection pump ... totaling more than $10,000

[3] ... the owner took the Porsche to Andial racing in Santa Ana, CA and they took the engine and transmission out and rebuilt it again at a cost of another $8,000

So, here's an engine that's been tinkered with at least 3 times (see numbers in itlics below). I'm trying to understand roughly what was done to this engine (and others like it in other cars): in other words, what on earth does a 2.2 rebuild to 2.7 spec mean? what is kept and what is typically replaced? Is that engine then still "matching numbers"? Someone please enlighten me...