Thread: Red Koni Classic for SWB: Big price difference from various vendors

Red Koni Classic for SWB: Big price difference from various vendors

Hi Guys,

just thought I'd share some of the prices that I came across on red Koni Classics for SWB 911s.

This would be for four shocks including shipping to the lower 48. (There's no price difference if your car had Koni OEM or Boge OEM in the front)

Shox.com: $546
    Paragon: $569
    Koni online: $609
    Tirerack: $644
    ClassicGarage.com: $657
    Jegs: $729
    Summit: $803
    Pelican: $1038

I just thought it was strange to see such a big price differential. Most of the time prices are kind of in the same ballpark, you know give or take 10% to 20%...

Ciao,
    n.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

http://nicolashunziker.com

Koni was having a sale last month.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I found the best price to be from AJ-USA for the fronts-- there is a cheaper vendor out there but I wasn't confident after they said they had the shocks and then immediately sent me a backorder notice. The rears I sourced from Drivewire.com.

The shocks all come from the same place so it's simply a question of retailer markups and customer loyalty.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Perhaps some of the vendors decided to pass the savings along to the consumer?

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

I just received mine from shocks.com in El Cajon, SD and received the best price with no shipping charges. It took about 2 weeks to get them but I wasn't in a hurry. They did a fine job. They were for a 72S. I did a price check against Pelican and I'm glad I did because I saved about $ 450.00!
    72S, 72T now ST

I recently purchased front/rear Koni 'sports' not classic's. Went with Paragon very knowledgeable and helpful folks. $599 for 4 corners.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Mark,

are the 'Sport' available for the SWB or do you have a post '68 model?

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525

Quote Originally Posted by TargaFlorio View Post
    Mark,

are the 'Sport' available for the SWB or do you have a post '68 model?

Ciao,
    n.
    Ciao, I have a 67 SWB but don't know about the front's because I'm updating to 3.5" LWB struts. In the rear Paragon set me up with a pair of bushing's that allow the use of later model adjustable sport's. I would give them a call.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Koni Sports

There are a couple of issues with the Sport Dampers for ealry cars.

The only Sport Shocks available now are to suit the later cars and have a 14mm diameter bush rather than the early 12mm dia. Not too difficult to sort out.

The fronts are more of an issue as they don't fit into the strut legs without some adapters to radially locate the bottom of the insert and to lift it by about 4mm so it locks into place.

Once this is done they work quite well and then front has the benefit of being top adjusting.

Chris,

in terms of performance, do you think there's a big difference between the 'Classic' and the 'Sport'?

Both are adjustable, but only to a point. Which one is more likely to recreate the characteristics of the in-period shocks?

Thanks.

Ciao,
    n.
    EarlySRegistry #1426
    R Gruppe #525