Thread: FS: 1972 911t with extra engine

FS: 1972 911t with extra engine

I've decided to sell my car, only to move into a 3.2 carrera. I love this car almost as much as my own kids, and will be very sad to see it go, but life is short and I want to enjoy as many P-cars as possible. That said, I'm more than happy to discuss trades: I'm looking only for a 3.2 cabrio, black or guards red, natural leather interior.

The basics:
    1972 911T ROW, originally purchased in Germany, imported to Canada in 1987. Odometer shows 71250 km, assuming 171250.

Currently has a transplanted 1967 2.0L engine that was rebuilt about 30K km ago, with E cams and pistons (no documentation unfortunately). Original 2.4L (#s matching) will come with the car. The 2.4 was running fine, but smoking a little bit, and was probably due for a refresher (140Kish km on it). The 2.0L is making about the same hp as the 2.4, due to the upgrades (shop estimated 130-140hp).

Major upgrades/maintenance: rebuilt 4-speed 915 2008, new clutch 2008, new front sway bar 2009, 4 new Bilstein sport shocks 2006, all new ignition components 2008, gas tank removed and cleaned 2009, new sport muffler 2007, factory S options (front spoiler, aluminum front calipers, guages)

Partial RS Clone: , fibreglass ducktail, steel SC flares welded on the rear (running 15 x 7s and 8s), but no front flares or decals.

New price: Asking $19K CDN or US. Appraised at 24K, not including spare engine. Email cledroit at g mail dot com or pm.

The details:
    There's lots of good and a bit of bad about my car. I've worked on it meticulously since I bought it in 2004. Here's a fairly complete list:

bad:
    -front rust - appraisal states "rust through in the front trunk, just in front of the right spare tire well, 1/2" x 3" hole.
    -oil leak in the oil filter housing in the engine bay = drips on the heat exchanger = smoke, priority #1 to fix in the spring when it's back on the road
    -jack pad inserts are rusted
    -driver's chair needs to be reupholstered - chunk missing out of both leg and kidney bolsters
    -pedal cluster needs cleaning or full rebuild - gas pedal doesn't come back to full stop, so if you just get off it, engine idles around 2000. A quick tap on the pedal fixes it, but it's annoying. Priority #2 when it's back on the road in the spring.
    -PO had a less-than-perfect respray. It's not bad, but definitely a 5 footer. Lots of overspray in the front trunk.
    -ducktail is not a perfect match paint job. It's only noticeable in full sun, but still...
    -original decklid will go with the car, but was drilled for a turbo tail, so would need to be filled and painted.
    -a bit of oil dripping overnight (likely just the housing leak)
    -hood needs adjustment - sits just a tiny bit high at the cowl
    -push-button starter wired because the ignition switch failed last summer. (happened once before, had it fixed, happened again, haven't fixed it yet - it's the electrical contact in the key tumbler that's not mating)
    -hood shocks don't hold hood up. Replaced them a few years ago, worked for a year or so, then the hood started slowly closing. Gave up after that.
    -small rust bit under the paint at the front lower corner of the pass. door (appraisal refers to it as a "1/2 spot", whatever that means
    -4-way flashers not working (or will work, but then turn signals don't - something weird going on)
    -pass. side heater box spring missing (attachment broken) so permanently open
    -standard dash crack, but speaker grill is fine (replaced a year or 2 ago)

good:
    -all records since I bought it in Oct/04, meticulous maintenance
    -no structural rust
    -factory S options, including front spoiler (steel), gauges and upgraded aluminum front brake calipers (all factory)
    -fibreglass ducktail from MA Shaw (bought in 2005)
    -new Weltmeister front through-the-body sway bar installed last summer (22mm)
    -freshly rebuilt weber carbs last summer (rebuilt by shop I bought the engine from)-all-new MSD ignition (CD box and coil) 2009
    -915 (4-speed) rebuilt winter 2008 (by me, invoice from Pelican showing all replaced parts available)
    -new Sachs clutch installed (brand new clutch disc and PP, resurfaced flywheel) winter 2008, approx. 23K km on new clutch
    -Weltmeister Cambermeister triangulated front strut brace (PO installed)
    -Bursch sport exhaust (2007 I think)
    -Speedo repaired and recalibrated by North Hollywood Speedo (2008), new speedo cable
    -Porsche (OEM) short shifter installed last summer, along with later 915 shifter base. (still have original shifter, special to 1972 915s - similar to 901 except H-pattern, will come with the car)
    -Original Recaro driver's sport seat, Recaro non-sport passenger seat (driver's needs reupholstering, passenger is fine)
    -new sport motor/tranny mounts, winter 2008
    -all 4 shocks replaced winter 2006, Bilstein sports (also replaced ball joints)
    -new fuel pump (rewired to front suspension pan) 2005? 2006? (invoice is in folder)
    -new brake MC 2005
    -new fuel pump, rerouted to front, 2005
    -replaced all shifter bushings, throttle shaft bushing 2005
    -soft brake hoses replaced 2007?
    -several oil lines replaced 2008-2009
    -Clarion in-dash CD head unit, upgraded speakers in rear parcel shelf (still sounds like crap, though)
    -gas tank pulled and cleaned last summer (lots of threads on Pelican about my hp problem at the track, started with rebuild of old Zenith carbs, replaced with Webers, replaced all the ignition components, even replaced the damn engine, turned out to be simply crud in the bottom of the tank getting swirled and swished with turns, preventing proper fuel flow)
    -appraisal states "no significant oil leaks"

As far as accident history, I don't know of any except a spin I had at Mosport in 2006. I hit the wall at very low speed, and had to have the rear left signal housing and lens replaced, as well as some bodywork done. Total bill was $1800 (not on insurance, of course). There are some bondo spots in the doors and hoods, all from previous owners, but that's likely from surface rust or dings/etc, rather than accidents - they're small patches, and only detectable with a magnet. I didn't even know they were there until the appraiser took a magnet to them.

Both front fenders were replaced with fibreglass pieces by a PO - not sure why. The gas filler is now located in the trunk (no hole in the fender for the filler flap). I've been piecing together what's needed to put it back to original - I have the filler extension, filler flap, but need to source a fender and get it painted. All these parts will come with the car.

Before me, the car was fairly well maintained, at least mechanically, and I've gone through it to sort out as much as possible. I'm not completely finished, but I've worked the big stuff out and am now down to little stuff and cosmetics. Of course, with a 38 year old car, new issues come up, but so far nothing significant.

This car is no garage queen - I drive it a lot (I try to get 10K km a year on it) and maintain it a lot. It's a daily driver car, and presents that way. Brake fluid changes every month usually (after most every track event), oil changes every 5000 km at most (except 1 interval of 5730km), new plugs, points, rotor, cap, etc. as needed, new oil lines as needed. Basically, no maintenance has been neglected. I keep a spreadsheet detailing regular maintenance stuff, including oil changes. Stored every winter, as we have ridiculous amounts of salt on the road, goes away just before first salting and comes out after first really good rainfall. It's dead nuts reliable, and has only let me down twice: once was my fault (poor installation of a crappy fuel pump, fixed by a shop), second was the ignition switch. I've taken it on several lengthy road trips (last summer drove to Ottawa and back, about 1100km round trip, and never had a fear or worry about it (except the lack of air conditioning!). Odometer reading when I put it away this winter was 71250. That's rather meaningless, because the speedo cable was disconnected for about 1500km, plus the new engine, plus it's only a 5 digit odometer. But in the interest of disclosure, there it is.

The exterior pics were taken by a friend (a pro car photographer). The interior shots were taken with the appraisal, and really make the interior look worse than it is. No doubt it's far from perfect, but it's livable. One of the projects on my list has been a carpet replacement, but it keeps getting bumped for mechanical/performance upgrades, because it doesn't bother me that much. If the car is still for sale when it goes back on the road in the spring, or if I show it to anyone before then, I'll take some better with our DSLR that will hopefully show it better.

There's also tons on the Pelican Parts 911 tech forum detailing history since I've owned it.

72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

bump - car is back on the road for spring! Added another 500km to the odo over the last few days

Here's a video of the car starting from stone-cold, idling, and a walk-around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y-3h2j8-Mk
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

nice car, nice pics specially the back shot with the leaves... .a 911 leaf blower
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

I had fun following your reports on Pelican, especially the Mosport trackdays.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

You say that like there won't be any more! Whatever I move into, rest assured it'll see the track
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

bump for new lower price!
    72 911T coupe
    86 911 coupe
    83 944 NA (sold)
    99 Boxster (sold)

right sport seat for sale if needed

Hello I have the other seat for your car if you want it. If you sell your car please tell new owner about me having a right sport seat. 916 645 9111 Thanks George