Thread: '99 Ferrari 550 . . .

'99 Ferrari 550 . . .

. . . Maranello:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Titanium/Bourdeaux
    5.5L V12, 6-speed
    23k mi
    $66.8k asking

The last and best-looking of the big honest-to-God V12 Ferraris with a manual 6-speed --- all the new Ferraris are F1 only.

I have no idea what this vehicle would cost to insure or service, but the original MSRP was >$200k, so you'll have missed the biggest part of depreciation. Not exactly cheap, but definitely coming into range. Plus, one of the writers at EVO (Metcalf?) called it one of the sweetest driving and shifting cars he's ever been in.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . Maranello:

The last and best-looking of the big honest-to-God V12 Ferraris with a manual 6-speed --- all the new Ferraris are F1 only.

Rick Kreiskott
    Not true. The first part about looks is totally subjective....ask any 599 owner. The second comment about honest-to-God V-12s and the part about paddle shifts only is just plain wrong. The 599 uses a direct derivative of the multiple race winning '91 F-1 V-12 motor, housebroken for the street, and it constitutes a far more pur-sang motor than the 550 used, which was replaced by the 575 motor, due to a lack of power.

With the exception of the 458 Italia ( just starting to ship to dealers) all current ROAD Ferraris are available with standard manual gearboxes.......but, like all smart manufacturers, Ferrari listen to their clientele, and when the people who actually buy these cars order them with the manetino over 85% of the time, a manufacturer would have to be pretty dense not to make that their standard offering.

It should also be noted that without exception, all recent and current Ferraris equipped with the paddle shifters beat the lap times of their manual shift counterparts during testing & development.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

You're Absolutely Right, Mr Goriup . . .

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    . . . The second comment about honest-to-God V-12s and the part about paddle shifts only is just plain wrong . . .
    . . . although it took me a while to find that information on the Ferrari web-site:

http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sp...cal_Sheet.aspx

. . . and every 599 I've seen has F1. (Maybe a 599 stick will be a future collectable?)

As for my opinions about looks . . . those are always subjective. But regarding horsepower, the 550 came with 485, the 575M 508 --- not a exactly a lack to me --- but I'm sure Ferrari charged more for it!

Still an amazing deal, considering . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Still an amazing deal, considering . . .
    ...until Luigi hands you the $10,000 tab for your first 15K mile service.

Meanwhile . . .

. . . regarding current Ferrari transmission options (for V12s) . . .

599 HGTE . . . . . . . .F1 only? (couldn't find a reference on the Ferrari site)
    599XX aka GTO) . . . F1 only
    612 Scaglietti . . . . . F1 only

The 458 is F1 only, but, the California actually offers a 6-speed.

But then well . . . those are V8s. (Are they really Ferraris?)

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Technical issues aside.......
    Subjectively speaking, as a long time Ferrari admirer, I have to agree with Rick.

To me the 550/575 Maranello body style is the last great front engine design the company has done....... maybe to me it has more 'comfortable old school design cues' then I feel it's universal jelly-bean descendents.

Also, speaking with a couple of contemporary Ferrari tuners, they say the 550 is MUCH more 'performance tuner friendly' then it's 575 younger brother....

...... my .02
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Well --- No . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Nine17 View Post
    ...until Luigi hands you the $10,000 tab for your first 15K mile service.
    On the 550, annual service --- fluids, filters, etc --- runs about $1500 at the local store. Timing belts get changed every 30k mi or 3 years; that runs about $2500. F1 adds to the service requirements, but the mechanic I spoke to said that the 550 is pretty reliable.

Also, the Ferrari store's shop rate is $140 . . . which is less than the local Porsche store.

Now, about insurance . . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Don't get me wrong; my buddy's got a three-pedal 550, rosso over tan, Tubi intake and exhaust. It's an amazing car, and drop-dead gorgeous.

I've had several conversations recently about 550's. IMO it is the smoking deal in the car world right now. They are spectacular car.

I am also in the group that thinks it's a lot better looking than the 599 which is obviously highly subjective.