Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!! Recommendation on camshaft supplier??

Help!! Recommendation on camshaft supplier??

Hello,

I am changing the camshaft for my 2.0S 1968 engine.

Does anyone have any recommendation on reliable suppliers of camshafts?

Does anyone know about this company's camshafts?
    http://www.motormeister.com/suz/perf...g/racecams.htm

thanks a lot for any comments in advance

mikael

www.drcamshafts.com ask for John and tell him the Early 911S registry sent you

avoid motormeister.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Motormeister? Run! Run FAST! Search on the bird site for info about the sheistermeister...

I am running Mod-S (DC40) cams from Dougherty racing cams ( http://www.drcamshafts.com/ )and am very happy with them. They can be difficult to get ahold of but John is very knowledgable, he also sold me valve springs etc. Prices were good, shipping was prompt, cams are awesome.

What are you thinking about switching to? I like the Mod-S cams, they come on at 3000 rpm and make power until the rev limiter kicks in.

Lightbulb

Another option is Web Cams...
    http://www.webcamshafts.com/

I run their 120/104 modified S cams....

Between Dougherty and Web Cams they have you pretty much covered for anything you want too do.......

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    www.drcamshafts.com ask for John and tell him the Early 911S registry sent you

avoid motormeister.
    +10000000 on Dr Camshafts. 6 sets of cams don't lie.

-99999999999999999999999999999 on MotorMeister. They will all go to hell and I won't piss on the flames to put them out.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

DRCams also
    Looking for engine # 6208151
    '74 RS 3.0 Replica
    '70 911E Bahia Red (SOLD)
    '71 911 S/T Replica 2.3 Twin plug BEAST (SOLD)
    Australian TYP 901 Register #78
    Early S Registry # 1076

Elgin. Check their web site. First rate people and product.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Another option is Web Cams...
    http://www.webcamshafts.com/

I run their 120/104 modified S cams....

Between Dougherty and Web Cams they have you pretty much covered for anything you want too do.......

Cheers
    I'd like to add my recommendation to the Webcam suggestion.

Excellent product, good , accessible power ( if you pick the right cams) excellent customer service.

Two points of additional advice:

1. Don't go too wild on the cams if this is a street - driven machine. Too radical cams in a 2 liter motor just aren't fun.

2. May I recommend studying up on oils and lubrication. If it's a total engine rebuild or merely a cam change, the right lubricants are of utmost importance. It's a changing field in transition due to ever-changing legislation and requirements. ( I suggest Brad-Penn or SWEPCO ) You need to start out right, because the first few hours of operation can make or break camshafts long term performance.

You can get an overview by reading up on the subject here: http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

Good Luck

PS: for you own good, forget you ever heard the name Motormeister.....just pretend they don't exist.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Lightbulb

Another point of caution........

Some of these after-market cams (WebCams) have a higher Rockwell spec then the factory counterparts...... therefore they usually caution that the user use only OE factory rockers, or (their recommended) hard chromed racing rockers...... PLEASE take heed to their recommendation and DO NOT use a set of 'reconditioned' rockers!!!!!!

We did not, and firstly used a set of reconditioned rockers with my new WebCams from a very reputable shop ... with a history of never failing with their use with stock cams.... however we now realize did not re-harden up to the factory spec......

For an unrelated reason we had to take down my top end of my new rebuild after only a couple of thousand miles and to our amazement the WebCams had already gone right through the surface of the recondition rockers...

We replaced them with factory OE's and no more probs for over 40,000 miles

... I'm still grateful for this left-handed turn of events.....

Hope this helps......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

One more thing about DR Camshafts: if you call John and describe to him what you are looking for, he will grind you a custom set of camshafts to your desired performance and engine character desires.

I challenge anyone to get that kind of service from another cam provider.

Like I said, I have had 6 sets of John cams, from regrinds to new billets. All...perfect.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389