Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inner CV joint assembly?

Inner CV joint assembly?

I need some help. I have dismantled the inner CV joint, cleaned it and now want to put it back together (4 months later). The first part to go onto the shaft is the boot and hose clamps, but the next is the concave washer.

What way should the concave washer be assembled, with the outer edge touching the ball hub?

The ball hub, which way should it be installed on the shaft (after the hub, balls, cage and housing has been assembled), with the flat side towards the shaft or the ridged side toward the shaft?

I have attached a few pics to explain:

Thanks
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

Warren Hall posted the old Bentley Manual from the VW that included the CV overhaul instructions. Rest in Peace Early_S_Man!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Thanks, but I already had that from Warrens post. I found the answer today, called a mechanic at Porsche Norway. The flat part should face toward the drive shaft. The concave washer should be positioned so that the outer edge of the washer touch the flat part of the hub. I will take some pictures. You can actally see a trace of the washer on the flat part of the hub if you look closely.

Thanks
    John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Hmm. . . the manual says that the the "chamfered" portion of the splines should face toward the "larger diameter" of the outer ring (i.e. the axle side). This makes perfect sense insofar as the chamfering is intended to make it easier to get the splined axle into the splines. Yet from your photos the chamfered portion is the side with the "ridge" not the "flat" side.

You make a good point about the washer, you can clearly see the outline in your picture. Thanks for pointing this out, I'm doing my CVs next.

John, not so sure the Porsche mechanic is correct.... I made sure the washer was properly set in its groove, and pressed the hub onto the axel, all the way to stop. Its impossible to get the lock ring on. Its lacking maybe 0,5mm and I am positive that the hub cannot go any further in, I used a LOT of force(with a 6 ton press). Now I will have to get it off again. I think I will turn it and try the other way around. BTW I found out that it is possible to only install the hub and ball cage, and after these are in place you can put the balls in one at a time and at the same thing install the outer ring while turning it around/wriggling it. Anyway its strange that the flat side seems to have an impression of the washer....

Wish I had taken some pictures when I dismantled it...turned out to be a much worse job than I thought

EDIT; got the hub off again, my god it was stuck! Will make a final post if it turns out ok when I try it the other way around tomorrow.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Well, I can`t remember which way the concave washers go on, but the hub and balls will go together the wrong way too. I had everything allgreased- up and attempted to install them and a no go! the joints would not flex enough to attach them.`MESSY`................Cliff

I read on a VW site that the concave washers go with the curve toward the end of the axle-- this concavity preloads the circlip on the end of the axle so it doesn't come off.

Sway-a-Way Axles = No Concave Washer

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I read on a VW site that the concave washers go with the curve toward the end of the axle-- this concavity preloads the circlip on the end of the axle so it doesn't come off.
    :agree:

The last set I did, I went with the full floating Sway-a-Way axles and did away with the concave washers alltogether. They are supposed to handle torque much better (not that there's even been a real issue with that). The set-up for the offroad guys for this reason.

(Don't mind the extra length... these are for a 914-6/GT)

Rotating the cage in place...

Use the right lube.

Ready to go...

Purdy...

I powdercoated another set for another GT that races in the UK... came out looking great. I may take these apart and do that so as not to draw attention under the car.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Nice Eric! I have made this small drawing to explain to others doing this job.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

Installed the CV joint like my drwing shows. Worked out, the C-clip is now in place.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931