Thread: New Exhaust Idea

New Exhaust Idea

I am in the process of a full restoration on my car and am currently doing rust repair as well as general fabrication on any mods before paint. I have been thinking about getting a dual outlet sport exhaust, and went through all the options. I really like the M&K system, but also like version with the GT3 style outlets in the center. I wasn't real keen on the droning issue with dual tips so I thought I would see if I could innovate a little and do something else. I ordered a piece of oval SS tubing from Burns Stainless and set about modding my single out SS Dansk sport exhaust. Here is where it is now, I got the box done and the license plate panel. I cut open the box and cut out the chamber tube, but left the dividing baffles. I think it looks really cool, a little like a stinger on a hot rod beetle. I won't know how it sounds until I get the car back together after paint (many months from now). What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Early S member #1110
    '71 911 T Targa, 2.7 RS spec, sport seats "Milt"
    '90 928 S4, 37K mi.,grand prix white, cashmere "Bridget"

Here's a shot I took last weekend at Wilhoit's Open House of John's personal 911.

Sounded wonderful

I'm wondering why 550-style Stingers on 911s haven't been done in big numbers a long time ago. Seems like a natural
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Both look very interesting....
    For my taste, perhaps a tad shorter in overall length.

What do they sound like?

I believe not all twin outlet mufflers suffer from the droning effects you mention.
    Still a nice mod to these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    Here's a shot I took last weekend at Wilhoit's Open House of John's personal 911.

Sounded wonderful

I'm wondering why 550-style Stingers on 911s haven't been done in big numbers a long time ago. Seems like a natural
    John's exhaust is amazing. It looks to be Burns mufflers and bits; parts alone over $1,200 plus fab time, but very nice. Here is my photoshop rendition of my car with the final product. I am going to have the exhaust ceramic coated black. I left the length at 12" and will tune it shorter from there to get the sound right.
    Early S member #1110
    '71 911 T Targa, 2.7 RS spec, sport seats "Milt"
    '90 928 S4, 37K mi.,grand prix white, cashmere "Bridget"

This could be a stinger with a little bit of metal work at the merging point.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425