Thread: 1973 911 power antenna

1973 911 power antenna

My 1973 911 has it's antenna in the passenger fender. I have learned this means the car was originally installed with a power antenna. I am currently using a manual Hirschman and would like to install the correct power item.

There are a few questions I need to find answers to before embarking on this.

1) Does anyone know what antenna was used.? I know it was a Hirschmann, but do not know which model or part number.

2) Was the antenna activated by the radio or a seperate switch?

3) If by the radio, do all Blaubunkts do that, or do I need a special model?

I hope you guys can help me out with htis,. Thank you for the help.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

Hey John-
    My 73 was also supplied with an electric antenna and a Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio. The antenna is activated by a separate dashboard switch below the odometer reset independant of the radio on/off switch.

The electric antenna motor on my car is hidden beneath what looks like an old plastic bag! My car was repainted in 1988 so I've always thought that the painter taped it and it was never never removed. I've left it as is because the antenna works flawlessly so why mess with it. It probably kept moisture and gravel from harming the motor as well. Wish I could help with a part number though.

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Nick:

My 73 RS has that same switch and I was going to remove it. I am glad that I did not as it is oem. Thanks for the pictures they were very helpful. I found a vendor, alleuro.com that has nos antennas for the 73 car. The price was $120.00, which I thought was not too bad. Once I receive it, the work will commence.

Man, your reply was very helpful.

Thanks again,

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445