Page 13 of 287 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: 90s R Gruppe 911

Who would want a black interior?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't believe I just came across this thread. I sold my E to a fellow Early S poster last summer and bought my '92 964 in September. I'm loving it. We wanted something that I could take my 2-year old daughter on trips in. The a/c and radio help keep her cool and entertained. She loves riding in it, yells "Porsche" every time I crank up the 3.6. It's been a great GT car for touring and works pretty well on track, although the power steering and power brakes took some getting used to (I still think I'd rather have manual steering...). Suspension is H&R green springs with Bilstein Sports and it's got a secondary muffler bypass. I've picked up a set of 993 Cup 2 wheels and Toyo RA1 for track use and a set of turbo width Cup 1 from Harvey for street use to replace the original 16 inch wheels.

These cars have a narrow, but very strong, cult following that seems to be growing, especially with so many of us long-hood enthusiasts getting interested. The race history, RS models and aftermarket support make for a good jumping off point for modifications. I'm still missing the early car though, and am hoping I'll be able to put together a project car soon. But this has worked out really well. As Tom B said about the car recently, "best money I ever spent!"

Ch
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    '18 Carrera T - R #368, S #692
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tallon View Post
    If you do decide to go the black interior route, the RS America Sport seats are amazing, albeit heavy...
    I could not agree more. My car has the leather power versions, but the shape is the same. I love them. I know it's blasphemous, but I think they are even better than the sport seats from my early car.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

They make a really nice modern version of the Carrera script, I have been thinking of adding it althought I have Cobalt Blue and it all looks good on white......what do you think to a red script with red wheel on Cobalt? Too much?
    The script is nice, different from the norm, available in the UK.

Christian ... NO SCRIPT.

The only thing I'd change about your car are the wheels - they're awesome albeit one generation too modern. Find a set of Cup 1s, wrap 'em in sticky rubber and be done with it.

Then start saving for a 6-speed.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Agreed Re: Script. It worked for the 73's, not so much the 964's. Too busy, me thinks. The Cup II's also work, but the Cup I's are perfect. Marco, I remember a day, not so long ago that you didn't care for the Cup I's. You are maturing at a rapid rate grasshoppa.....now try walking the rice paper......

Tom, the green car is looking fantastic. The II's look so much better than the 16's. Are you turning any quicker lap times than you did in the early car? Both the early cars with 2.7 motors (like the 73 RS) and the 964's are classed the same and compete head to head in the POC here in L.A.. I'd love to know what you are experiencing at your track. Thanks.
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Agreed Re: Script. It worked for the 73's, not so much the 964's. Too busy, me thinks. The Cup II's also work, but the Cup I's are perfect. Marco, I remember a day, not so long ago that you didn't care for the Cup I's. You are maturing at a rapid rate grasshoppa.....now try walking the rice paper......

No way, dude. We must have had a miscommunication or something; I've ALWAYS dug the Cup 1s. In fact, here's something you might remember:
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

No, I agree, no script although the new lettering/font does look good on the white car in the photo but then lots of marginal stuff looks good when it is on someone else’s car.

But I am not rushing out to buy the obligatory set of cup ones, too common. I am saving the money towards the paint to match 993 door handles. No need to reread that last, it is true; flag mirrors are OK with stock handles but aero mirrors need aero handles, the painted 993 look and all the guts can be transferred so as to retain the original locks and keys.

Then Marco my good friend you will see I am not wrong on the Twist wheels, just EARLY.

Tom, the green car is looking fantastic. The II's look so much better than the 16's. Are you turning any quicker lap times than you did in the early car? Both the early cars with 2.7 motors (like the 73 RS) and the 964's are classed the same and compete head to head in the POC here in L.A.. I'd love to know what you are experiencing at your track. Thanks.
    Thanks Chris, the Cup 1s look even better. I just don't have any photos yet.

Regarding track comparisons, I think the new car will be quicker once I learn the car better. Last event was at VIR in November but I did not get a good comparison of lap times. The only sessions someone was available to check times was in my first couple of sessions where I was still trying to figure out a new-to-me tire (RA1) and how late I could brake, which was much later than I could with the old car using S calipers. By Sunday I had a good feel for the car and felt quicker than the old one, no hard numbers though. If the speedo was correct, I was only about 4 or 5 mph quicker on the 2 main straights at VIR. The bigger torque and better brakes must help, but I don't feel a huge improvement in the tighter stuff. My old car was fairly well set up and I had a lot of miles learning the car a knowing exactly how to push it and what it would do. I think a couple more weekends in the 964 and I'll feel the same way.
    Tom Morgan
    Charlotte, NC
    1973 Giulia Super 1.3

I do remember sending that pic Marco. I have that one hanging in my office. I thought I heard you say you didn't care for Cup 1's, but now we are clear....You Love them You still need to walk the rice paper though.

Christian, I had not heard of changing out the door handles to 993 units before. That may look good, although I must admit to liking the blacked out 964 units.

Tom, Thanks for the performance wrirte-up. I'll be looking forward to some good data point once you're up to speed. I feel my early car is so much stronger in the tight stuff, where the 964 can outrun the car elsewhere.

Best to all on this wet Monday.

Cheers!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76