Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 S on E-bay

Cool 1970 S on E-bay

Anyone know this car? thoughts? loks like a good project car.

Link?

Link is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

However, I don't think that is a factory sunroof, but a Golde aftermarket unit. Can someone chime in?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom;

It is being advertised as a factory sunroof, any thoughts on price?

'70 'S' Project

Hmm. I love the 2.2s. Not many around --- stock or otherwise. Never thought I'd find one when I 'lucked' into mine. So a project would be tempting. But this? . . .

10-year non-runner with 'race/autocross' backround.

Original 2.2 motor built to '2.7L RS specs' . . . and grenaded. In boxes. MFI disassembled.

Kentucky title.

In Florida.

For $35k

'This is not currently a running and driving car: What you see laying on the ground in front of the car in the pics is what you get.

Great.

On a good day, assuming any of the Seller's other assertions about condition are accurate, how much would it take to put this car back to any-kind-of-together? Rebuild/resuscitate/re-animate a 2.2? With a lunched case? Guessing $15k minimum. Paint and body work? Another $10k minimum. And since the thing hasn't driven for 10 years, throw in brakes, clutch, trans and suspension. $5k-$10k -$???k?

Then . . . imagine if its a bad day. That stuff's missing, rustier, or crinklier than advertised. Hhhh.

This kind of thing requires a steady hand, deep pockets . . . and a strong stomach. In less-than-booming economic times.

If it were me, and I was thinking about something like this . . . I'd fly down, get some people who do motors and body work to meet me there, crawl over this car for a day (or three), make a list of what's missing and needs doing . . . then make an offer.

Probably around $20-25k.

On a very, very good day.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

Well, I put the value sub 20s, if I'm right about the aftermarket roof.

Look at the headliner: I can't see the zipper for a factory sunroof motor. Also, if you look at the leading edge, I think you'll see a bulge in the center, where the motor is.

Also, the rusty edges on the underside bespeak some damp storage through the years.

That said, the seller seems knowledgeable, and seems to represent the car fairly. I think that eBay is an amazing place to find the one person in the world who will pay top money for a project car. So, the seller may be right about price.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom

You have a PM

=========================================
    2.4T 1972 Targa - Tangerine German Delivery Ölklappe
    2.4T 1973 Coupe - Golden Green 911ST with 2.8 MFI TwinPlug
    1.7 1970 914-4 - Hell Elfenbein Weiss to be Sonauto GT with a Six
    Looking for engine #6522576
    Rgruppe #674

I questioned the factory sunroof too--the bump in the front gives it away, IMO.

What I'd like to ask the experts here is about the paint. He makes a claim about the uniqueness of the color on a 70 S. Can someone explain the apparently green paint along the tunnel, along the rear floor, and inside the driver's door? Could this have been originally green and the factory resprayed to a custom color? Did the factory do that? Could the green just be an illusion on the computer screen?

Now my car. Has been owned, and I received it from, at least two prior S registry members in it's current state, albeit w/ more additional parts. Neither one of them informed me of the sunroof and I can't imagine they noticed either. I didn't really notice anything different until I put the pics into the Ebay ad late last night (you can see things in pics that you don't in person, and visa-versa). I saw the strange notch in the front part of the S/R headliner, but then my mind went elsewhere as it was way past my bedtime. The 9 year old COA doesn't list 'sunroof', so there's your real answer. I have corrected the Ebay ad description to reflect this newly known to me info.

I would really like to keep this one and posted something on Pelican in the market place discussions section about what my options are a couple of days ago: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...-restored.html
    But after over 100 looks and no replies, I listed the car on Ebay to get answers for myself.

Please ask me questions here, on Ebay, or call me on the phone about any details on the car. Come down and stay with us for a couple of days and check it completely out... hell, I welcome it. You end up with the car, I'll pay for your room at the bed 'n breakfast down the street and then continue to help you find any additional parts and goodies you want for it for years to come. I've got nothing to hide.

FWIW - the green you see on the floor boards looks to be some type of spray on glue. Car's always been yellow.