Thread: Engine Fiberglass Cover-to paint or not to paint?

Engine Fiberglass Cover-to paint or not to paint?

I just had it out with a 'Porsche Expert' and he redid a 911S motor that this shop sent out. The motor came back 'puffed'. Now, I had left the original red cover all original-the factory red. It had no cracks and had beautiful patina. I mean the fiberglass has that look that paint will never match.
    This guy thought my work would look better if we paint(color not even close) it red. Drips and all, It looks horrible and they want big bucks for the car. He also painted brand new chain covers with silver paint and painted yellow cad from a can on some linkages! Why would you do that?

This guy/mechanic gets big bucks and has lots of business. Go figure.

I say leave it alone if nothing is wrong with it.

(Pictures are for reference only- not the motor in question) This one I did and it stayed original as intended.
    -
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Steve Var.
    66 Fulvia
    72 914

Nothing like an original finish, I'll take patina over paint any day. Painted timing covers?!?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

While a nice patina is great, sometimes they look better after being painted. Mine was broken and cracked in places, and I had to do some fiberglass work on it to repair it. It was also so faded, it didn't look that great anyway. I found a perfect high temp paint, and it looks 100 times better.
    Chuck

Early 911S registry #380
    '70S
    '75S
    '96 C4S
    '65 R69S

Sorry, but at this time I can't post a photo of my latest fan shroud. This one, like the other 2 I have, is courtesy of Damon Josz @ Series 900. It's for a 911-T and he has nailed the "yellow" to a "T" (sorry).
    When I get back to a computer that has some bandwidth ability I'll post the photos. (Where I am requires mirrors and string to make a connection.)

When you can get one to look like what Damon produces, playing with paint just isn't an option imho. Unlike paint, this one won't run.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Sorry, but at this time I can't post a photo of my latest fan shroud. This one, like the other 2 I have, is courtesy of Damon Josz @ Series 900. It's for a 911-T and he has nailed the "yellow" to a "T"
    Tom
    Here is a picture of mine that are also from Damon. All I can say is "wow". Better than anticipated!
    1997 993 C4S, Not totally stock
    2015 GTI
    1991 E30 M3
    1970 911T, Lilly. Slate Gray 3.2ss PMO etc Sold!
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ect-lilly.html

Early S Register Member #1386

Back in civilization again.

Here are the photos of the Series 900 MFI 911-T shroud. Damon can do any color for that matter.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111