Thread: Factory Nitrided S connecting rods 66mm stroke

Factory Nitrided S connecting rods 66mm stroke

Very nice set (6) of factory 66mm stroke black NITRIDED connecting rods. (Surface hardening process to improve metal fatigue resistance) $450.00 Buyer pays shipping. marankie@sbcglobal.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

S rods

These have been sold. Thank you for your interest.

I would like to comment a little on nitrided versus non nitrided rods which came on the 2.0 normal motors. First, the standard rods were more than sufficient to handle the stress and wear of hard driving and high rev's of an early car in aggressive hands. Porsche engineers back in the day had a rep for "over" engineering the early cars and the motor parts even more so.
    When rebuilding my 67 normal motor to "s" specs using all original 67 911"S" parts about 10 years ago, I spent quite a bit of time trying to source all original S parts. I spent some time looking to buy a good set of nitrided rods. However, in the end I used my normale rods. I had them shot preened and inspected for cracks by a lab down in Ft lauderdale. I was told then that although nitriding was a good thing and added protection to the rod, it did not make the rod absolutely protected from cracking due to abnormal stress. Further, by shot preening the rods to test for cracks, the nitriding process could be damaged by shot preening. Since I already knew my normale rods were good, I stuck with them. One other thing worth mentioning is that it is almost never the case that Porsche engine failure has been due to a cracked rod. It almost always collateral damage resulting from another part which has failed in an early motor.
    That having been said, if you needed a set of early rods, this was a very good price and the nitriding is a bonus that can't hurt.

Thank you!