Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling Seat Police - Early Recaro Racing Buckets

Calling Seat Police - Early Recaro Racing Buckets

Did I get your attention? I thought so...

I have these in my lightweight and have been very curious as to the exact vintage of this style of seat. I have read lots of threads about how the early seats had the "feet" at the base of the shell and the later ones had "flat" sides. Mine have one flat side and a "scoop" we'll call it out of the other. Both seats are identical - scoops are both on the right sides. One other interesting thing to note is that the back has three grommets, whereas other buckets I have seen have four.

Can the braintrust give me the correct vintage for these what they might have been supplied in originally? Eric... Sam...? Thanks a million!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott-

I don't have an answer for you as I am by no means an authority on these vintage seats. What I do find interesting is that on my Recarco Racing Buckets, which are circa 1971 are: flat sided (no feet), have no grommets and both are scooped for the slider mechanism on the same side. Hmm.. I thought my seats were either 2 passenger or 2 driver sided seats, maybe, maybe not?? The early Recaro sliders I have are left/right specific, meaning only one slider set works (of course).

I'll follow this thread and wait for the experts as well.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

The indentation was done for "driver side " only. there was no passenger side middie recaro with indentation on the other side. I can't comment on the pedestal version as those are pretty rare (67-68-ish)
    Fwiw- Recaro got away from the pedestal feet style as they were considered weaker (i.e. tended to break) than the new design with the flat full length mounting area
    You end up with two driver slider set ups with these indented units, if using oe sliders. Modern recaro sliders are safer double release and a flat design not needing the indentation.

The seat shown was used for driver , or passenger, thru 71, then the taller side shells were employed for competition. The lower side version was still used as a passenger seat here and there.
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Scott, give them to me to install in my '68 and I may get some insight on your question after that.

I had the rare opportunity to take a peak into Don Ahearn's (Rennman) part stash last week. Where do these seats fit into the scheme? The mounting points are for a 911, and the seat is completely original....

-Mike

Look similar to the Recaro seats that Marco had for sale recently , albeit with headrests , same indent on the right side of the seat , etc

Not sure what year these would be , maybe 69 - 70

http://www.elevenparts.com/index2.ph...11-Racing-Used

definitely not earlier as per my 68 Recaro I have for Passenger

Old Seat

Well, I don't know about the mounting points, but . . .
    1) . . . two vertical slots in the seat back and . . .
    2) . . . bordered carpeted backs

Sounds like a Speedster seat. (Or maybe early 60s 356 GT.) Especially without a head rest.

Edmond Harris had one advertised as 'ex Waldegaard Used in 67 rally car.'

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

They are 1966 pre fiberglass Recaro. They are not 356 GT seats as the mounting width is 911. They are for my 66 Prototype.

Don

I've seen a few of those seats as well. Are they aluminum or steel?

Note that they are discussed in one of the very earliest issues of the RGruppe newsletter wayyy back when.

E

From PET, this pedestal seat was offered in 1969.

On my seats, which thanks to Dave, I'll stick with the new(and safer) double locking Recaro sliders. Besides, If John Willhoit is using those on his 70 S that he is offering for sale, well then that's good enough for me....until the day I find 2 driver sided sliders.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST