Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another car-in-the-barn story

Another car-in-the-barn story

I guess this is my second car-in-barn story, back in the early nineties was the first barn story, I got my second 72S by staying after the owner until he finally gave in and I got the car that had been sitting apart for years in his garage. (still have it) Now going back yet further for the second barn story, the shop I was with in 1983 took in a 67S for engine rebuild and repaint. The engine was done and the car painted, but then the owner had some personal problems and disappeared. The car sat there for a year and then when the body shop person left that business (as had I) he opened up in the rental space next to mine, and brought the orphan 67 with him. Another 10 or 12 years go by, I moved to another building (buying this time) and the 67 still sat there. I pestered the body shop person to get a mechanics lien on the car so I could buy it, never happened. About 15 years ago he told me the owner finally came and got the car. Now started a 15 year quest to buy the car, that has been sitting in a neighbors garage. Last June I must have finally hit a high enough number, and he finally agreed to sell. These are just the highlights, there are of course many little interesting details.

It is a Ft Worth car that has been off the road since 1983, needless to say it is virtually rust free, had the usual front pan battery rust, but that had already been replaced when the paint work was done. Floor is original and totally solid, as are rockers and jack points. First picture is as I found it in the garage, then some before and after shots as I have done the rear half, stripped the undercoat and applied new undercoat, did the usual painting and plating on engine, which has probably been run less than two hours in 30 years.

I'll add more as I go along with this project, doing the front half now. This will be a driver/ hot rod flavor car. Vin 306747S
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Nice Ed....who does your work??....
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

I can usually pick up some cheap labor around the homeless shelter down town.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

nice find

Nice find Ed. Think you can handle it.

Don

You're the guy to do it! Can't wait to see it come together!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Terrific Story

Love to hear these types of stories.

Care to name the source for the fuel lines with the crimped banjo fittings?

mad scientist
    Very Nice Ed. Will you bring it down next month?

Where do you keep finding these cars?

Just what you need Ed, another car. Say Hi to Jan for me.

Terrific Story
    Love to hear these types of stories.

Care to name the source for the fuel lines with the crimped banjo fittings?
    Gary, we have a standard small hose manual crimper, available at most industrial supply houses. It's not exactly the same as the metric crimp machine, but still looks better than hose clamps

Very Nice Ed. Will you bring it down next month?

Where do you keep finding these cars?
    Jamie, the only way that car will be at Hill Country next month is on a trailer Being in the business helps.....the rest is pure patience!

Just what you need Ed, another car. Say Hi to Jan for me.
    This is my last one James, gettin too old to start anymore

Now a few more pictures of the progress;
    before.... rear underside
    after .....rear underside
    installing new sheathing on the wire harness
    left rear fenderwell
    new coil sticker
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

great work - love the photos - keep posting !
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)