Thread: LW Flywheel Question

LW Flywheel Question

Gents/ Happy Easter

I have done the searches and get the 50% split on opinions...... My motor is coming out (cam change and some other minor stuff); it is only a weekend fast back road/DE car with a fully built twin plugged 2.5.

Is a LW Flywheel a worthwhile mod in terms of performance benifit & fun factor or am I better off leaving the stock FW. It does already have a performance clutch and pressure plate.

Thanks,

Jimmy

Yes it's worthwhile.

Every bit of rotating mass reduction is worthwhile on a rev-happy motor.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I think a lightened flywheel is a worthwhile performance modification......provided you follow certain basic common-sense guide-lines:

1. Stick with Fidanza alum. flywheels. They make a quality product, have a choice of weights available, and most importantly, their alum. flywheels have a replacable steel friction insert so you don't have to machine the flywheel to restore the sureface when it's worn. (Buy a replacement insert at the time of the original flywheel purchase).

2 If you're planning to drive the car on the street, I recommend not getting the lightest version available, but rather the "normal" weight aluminum flywheel.

3. Don't expect a miraculous change in performance. The engine won't make any more horsepower as a concequence of the flywheel installation, but reducing rotating mass by such a significant percentage will free up a few HP and noticably improve throttle response.

4. It's not all up-side however. Low-speed flexibility will suffer, and you will most likely stall your engine starting from a stop more than once before you get the hang of coordinating clutch release and throttle application without killing the engine.

All in all, once you learn how to drive the car comfortably, and the "new" driving style becomes second nature to you, you will enjoy the eager feel of the engine and its willingness to rev.

Good Luck,

JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Quote Originally Posted by John Z Goriup View Post
    I think a lightened flywheel is a worthwhile performance modification......provided you follow certain basic common-sense guide-lines:

1. Stick with Fidanza alum. flywheels. They make a quality product, have a choice of weights available, and most importantly, their alum. flywheels have a replacable steel friction insert so you don't have to machine the flywheel to restore the sureface when it's worn. (Buy a replacement insert at the time of the original flywheel purchase).

2 If you're planning to drive the car on the street, I recommend not getting the lightest version available, but rather the "normal" weight aluminum flywheel.

3. Don't expect a miraculous change in performance. The engine won't make any more horsepower as a concequence of the flywheel installation, but reducing rotating mass by such a significant percentage will free up a few HP and noticably improve throttle response.

4. It's not all up-side however. Low-speed flexibility will suffer, and you will most likely stall your engine starting from a stop more than once before you get the hang of coordinating clutch release and throttle application without killing the engine.

All in all, once you learn how to drive the car comfortably, and the "new" driving style becomes second nature to you, you will enjoy the eager feel of the engine and its willingness to rev.

Good Luck,

JZG
    Along with the effect on "low-speed flexibility" the idle on my 2.4S is a little erratic. However, well worth it because of the throttle response . Go for it!

Hi Jimmy,

We have fitted several lightend fly wheels to engines including a 2.5 motor (not yet fitted) and the words previously mentioned give sound advice. We make our own lightened flywheels that we sell here in the UK.

PS. we are making these in both 6 (£190) and soon 9 bolt configuration and also further investigating removing a few more grams.

Alan