Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question for the group

a question for the group

i recently had a problem with a purchase here.
    before outing the person i'd like your opinion.
    an item was described as "near perfect".
    on questioning "zero rust or corrosion".
    the price was a bit high for the item but if as described worth it to me, and certainly less than NOS value.
    when i got it the exposed portion was painted silver, some pitting was obvious underneath the paint.
    when i voiced my dissatisfaction, i got "what do you expect for a 37 year old part".
    he did offer to take it back minus shipping, paypal and a testing fee?
    when i asked about the testing fee no response
    am i off base here? or just being whiney?
    i accept i'm SOL but don't want anyone else burned.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Personally,in these matters, I think the shipping should be split, paypal, is there a fee when money is refunded? Testing fee???? that sounds like bull Sh*t.
    Rob Abbott

Quote Originally Posted by super9064 View Post
    paypal, is there a fee when money is refunded?
    If you refund back thru PayPal, the original fee is reversed as well so no one is out that money. Like it never happened...

Testing fee???? that sounds like bull Sh*t.
    +1

It's disheartening to see the definition of "perfect" or "near perfect" diluted, especially on a forum like this, where we are continually treated to pictures of what "perfect" and "nearly perfect" really is, without a qualifying "for a XX year old part". If you spend anytime on this board and advertise a part for sale, you best be very careful about describing it as "near perfect" because it's a point of pride that we have a very high standard of what "perfect" is. Unless, of course, the poorly chosen descriptor here was "near", in which case I'm "near perfect" myself, with just a little bit of pitting, but what do you expect for a 56 year old part? Hope you find some satisfaction, here, Bob, and thanks for bringing up the issue.
    Mike O'Meara
    Reg #1043
    72 911T
    56,59 356s gone
    67,68 912s gone

i should have known better.
    a recent member, his only posts are items for sale.
    live and learn.
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Bob,
    If there is any question about any parts I ever sell, I always offer a full refund. Descriptions can sometimes be difficult to reconcile. I have bought plenty of items that were not as I thought to be described. Usually it's just easier to roll with punches and chalk the experience up to pooer but wiser.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

We are a community.

Tough question. You would hope, as Phil has said, that there would be a full refund based upon the trust implied as members of a community.

In this situation I would try to better reconcile it with the seller if not I would post more specific photos as a warning to the unsuspecting and naive as a learning opportunity.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

I also ALWAYS offer a full refund if someone isn't completely satisfied and I never buy from anyone who doesn't have a nice, long history on the board.
    It's the ONLY way to fly.
    I have a website now:
    www.markmorrissey.org

Instagram: @Mark0Morrissey

I've been down this road with a seller on this site as well...A person who only posts here to sell parts as well. While I appreciate that sellers will post items that we may need, sometimes I question their motives when their only reason for posting here is to make a profit, rather than being a fellow enthusiast.

Personally I don't think it's a tough question...

If it's just a person who's selling to the group, and not offering any input, then they are only here to take advantage of us, or the implied trust this board has.

The rest of us here deserve to hear from you what problems you've had with this private "vendor", if only to protect your brethren.

None of the usual suspects selling on this board would last very long with a "whaddya expect" reply, nor would I expect that from them in the first place.

Not too difficult to figure you who it might be... hmmm 37 yo part makes it a 73... lemme see who has a 73 that they've been selling parts from, and is relatively new to the board and hasn't been contributing. See, not to tough!

OUT him....

E