Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: NE Mille May 20-23

1. Stevens IROC
    2. Chasing Eric and the boys down rt302, White Mtns.
    3. Snow capped Mtns.
    4. Lewis - organizer extrodanaire
    Jim - Routemeister
    5. The tails stickin' together.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Paul
    83SC, bone stock (not so much anymore)
    69T, 2.8 RS spec, MFI (Sold, but not forgotten)
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

After spending the weekend in the Mtns. Scott H and I boogied down to the coast.
    1. Longest wooden bridge in the US, connecting mainland to 9 mile barrier beach. The beers and lobster that night finished the weekend off in fine fashion.
    3. Scott received the long distance award driving all the way from Illinois
    Paul
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

Nice pics. Where's that bridge?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    '72T 2.7 RS spec race car
    '79SC 3.6 ltr. hot rod
    '06 BMW 530xi

Quote Originally Posted by dlp72t View Post
    Nice pics. Where's that bridge?
    Powder Point Bridge, Duxbury, Ma. (about 40 miles south of Boston)
    Paul
    "Wailing Wench"
    s reg. #1009
    rgruppe #506

Since I didn't bring a camera on this trip I rely on this post to conjure the memories of a fantastic weekend. Until the stickers show up in my mailbox, this addition to my car pretty much sums up the journey......
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

East Coast
    Joe,
    Your wait shouldn't be that long...the stickers are in and mailed

OG3
    RG715

Last Monday

Lewis came south to go up the Delaware with Lee, John and me.... same scenery.... Same one handed camera man.....
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Stickers..

I met up with Mike Monde [driving a bitchin Range Rover of the classic variety] after cars and coffee and he gave me two stickers; One for my 73 and one for my TDI...... As Mike and I visited for 45 minutes along the road talking as cars whizzed by; It made me realize how bonding the experience was. Sharing a passion..... Lisa Monde enjoying the crossing...... Group shot and one for Joe. His car at lunch.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

For those on the Mille, I just uncovered a blog on a fellow running mates latest adventures. Some may know that Steven Harris was copiloting a 356 with Heydon Burville (Wevo) in the Peking to Paris. Here's a link to the blog.... http://wevo.com/wordpress/

Seems like a broke trailing arm is a more pressing issue than a few loose engine mount bolts.
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Since Joe revived this thread, this might be a good time to post some thoughts that I and others have had for the 2011 version and see what everyone thinks.

Dana and I had a conversation at the Lime Rock Vintage races recently about what was good and bad about the NEMM. Most of the feedback from everyone has been good, but I think it's worth trying some changes to make it better. We're thinking that instead of a point to point rally maybe it makes more sense to base the rally at one hotel and do loop drives that start and finish at the same place every day. This obviously only works if there are some great drives in every direction from the base. In the course of our conversation we kept coming back to the area around Crawford Notch, NH. There are amazing roads in all directions from the Notch. You all might remember going through Crawford Notch Sunday morning. It was just before we got on Bear Notch Rd. to head over to the Kangamagus Highway on our way back towards Lincoln, NH where we stayed Saturday night. I scouted some of the roads to the north and east into Maine while on vacation last summer, and they are fantastic! We did some of the roads to the south and west last year during the rally, and I think most would agree they are pretty good. Another advantage of this idea is that all of the luggage stays in the room, and people who want to get out on the roads early can get up and get going before there is anyone on the roads.

The idea is still 3 days / 1000 miles, but all of the routes would be handed out Friday morning, and they can be done individually or in groups, whenever. This would cut down on the parade aspect, where the cars at the back never experience the fun that the guys at the front are having. We would all meet back at the hotel, late afternoon, for drinks, tall tales and dinner. And do the whole thing again the next couple days on different roads.

There are many ski areas in the area and many hotels/motels to service them. The crown jewel is the Mount Washington Hotel, built in the early 1900s, and recently restored. It's a bit pricey, but Dana has been in touch with the manager to see what kind of group discount we could get. One advantage in staying here is that they also own a large motel across the street in Bretton Woods with more modest rooms and cheaper rates for those not into the glitz of the MWH. If the MWH doesn't work out, there are many other options close by.

This would be an experiment to see if this idea works better than the point to point rally, if it doesn't work - we can always try something else for the '12 version.

I guess I'll start a new thread to keep it separate it from the '10 version. I hope everyone who did '10 will show up next year, it was a great group - let's keep the love flowing.....
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823