Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Solex 40 PI carburetors - untangling a mystery

Let's not forget the linkage, rods, gaskets and spares that were in the bottom of the box!

Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Zinc coating...

Does anybody know if it is feasible to zinc coat the crossover tube without removing the fuel lines?

Would I be better served just replacing the lines due to age, even if they've never been used? If so, what is the story with the crimped connectors? How is this handled?

Thanks.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Interesting factoid about these carbs and the points in my original post around rebushing/o-ringing. From 356 Carburetor Rescue. My question to them:

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh
    A quick question – when you rebushed the shafts, I am curious if you o-ringed them. In a chat with Harry Bieker a few years ago, he said he did this to all 40 PIs as insurance against the throttle shaft leaks that caused so many of the original issues with these carbs. One way or the other, I will run them as-is.
    Thanks.
    The response from Candace, as Jim wasn't in the office:
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 Carburetor Rescue
    Kenik, Jim is not here today and will double check this answer with him in confirmation; but the basics are, Jim fully rebushes. That is, takes out the old bushings and installs totally new ones. Our experience with Harry is, he does not take out the old bushings, just creates an inset and installs the o-rings. At least that is how we both do it on the dual and single barrel Solex. Am presuming Jim has done the usual procedure with these. But as I said, I'll double check with him and confirm.

Regards
    Candace Delaney
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think the acid used in the cad plating process will eat away the cloth covering. The rubber will be intact, but the surface will be chalky/brittle.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    I think the acid used in the cad plating process will eat away the cloth covering. The rubber will be intact, but the surface will be chalky/brittle.
    I expect that if they could be hung submerged just to the collar of the crimp fitting, that would work. The fabric could also be coated to protect it.

Just thinking...
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Solex 40 PI carburetors - untangling a mystery

Kenikh, try Autosportengineering.com
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, after we install these if we run into any running issues, I am going to pick your brain a bit regarding the Solex mod you described at Laguna Seca, regarding soldering the emulsion tubes. Sounded intriguing, but didn't fully absorb it.

BTW, I also added a link in the first post to an excerpt that includes all factory instructions for the Solex carbs.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Ever seen one of these? NOS air cleaner for a Solex car. To bad the chrome picked up so much rust over the years in storage...

Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by kenikh View Post
    I expect that if they could be hung submerged just to the collar of the crimp fitting, that would work. The fabric could also be coated to protect it.

Just thinking...
    Just me, but I would not be using 30+ year old German rubber fuel lines on anything,.... Such things have not been the bastions of longevity.

I would remove the rubber lines, clean them all out, replate with clear zinc and have new rubber lines swedged back on.

Nice writeup on these carbs, pal. We have one of these engines here undergoing rebuild & restoration and will be running this on the dyno when its all ready. Should be interesting.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

Thanks, Steve! Sorry I didn't stay true to coming by when I was in Portland last weekend. Too much family activity going on to be able to get away, so I'll just ship the cylinders down.

On to the next question/quest regarding the refit of my Solex carbs. They are now poised to be dropped into my car, but with a few minor parts related snags:

It looks like we need approximately 12-14 crimp fittings, as there were only 4 in the parts that came carbs, as well as other little parts. The crimp ends are the least critical, as we can use hose clamps or other crimp ends, but it just won’t have the look. The other stuff are progress blockers.

Does anyone know of a source for the following or have some spares?

• R & L Drop link from cross bar to carbs (70 below)
    • Pivot ball on R side carb body bracket for cross bar (72 below)
    • Fuel pump plastic base and base gaskets (2 and 3 below)
    • Crimp collars (24 below)
    • Bell Crank on Lt. intake manifold for throttle linkage (61 below, I think. Could it be the same as Webers?)

356 Carburetor Rescue didn't have any and I am pretty sure I cleared Gary Emory out of everything Solex related he had left. Ed Fall might have the pump gasket, but haven't hear back yet.

All help/guidance is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389