Thread: 4 post vs 2 post lift advice requested

4 post vs 2 post lift advice requested

Guys,

I want to put a 4 post lift in the garage to double the storage capacity. However, the only 4 post lift I can find is sized to store an aircraft carrier sized SUV. The footprint takes up most of the garage, which means that the refrigerator with the beer would have to go. So far I have not been able to find anybody with a 4 poster catering to the 911, early Mustang, Miata, MGB crowd.

So I am now considering a 2 poster, although it is not first choice. Here are my questions:

1. Can I use a 2 poster for long tern storage without causing any untoward damage (If I place the arms correctly under the car) to suspension components?

2. What issues do I want to consider other than conservation of space in deciding between a 2 poster or a 4 poster?

3. If I have enough garage height, what are the agruments for and against under bar and over bar 2 post models

4. Does anybody make a junior sized 4 post model that I have not discovered yet?

Thanks for the thoughts

John, member # 322
    73 S with sporto

all good questions...come on over to www.garagejournal.com for all the answers and more.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Lewis,

Took your advice and went over to garagejournal. Thanks for the suggestion.

John

be careful, you can spend (maybe waste) a lot of time there.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

If I can summarize it quickly:

- with a 4 post lift you will be banging your head a lot. With a 2 post, you'll be banging your doors a lot ;-)

- 4 Post: massive amounts of space being taken and light being killed. 2 Posts: something to trip over, which you need to bolt into the floor, not moveable.

- 4P: you can stack cars resting on their wheels, as they should be. 2P: You don't need to buy extra sliding jacks to drop an engine !

It comes down to space and money, and of course most common usage...
    I love my 4 post because I bought to primarily to stack cars. I find it more convenient than a 2P because I just drive on it, no aiming the arms at the jacking points. 5 minute oil changes... I also moved it a few times till I was 100% happy with the location. That said, I have a scissor lift still, for the other work... So I'm not dissing 2 posts. It's really what fits your needs best...

>So far I have not been able to find anybody with a 4 poster catering to the 911, early Mustang, Miata, MGB crowd.

How about this then ? http://www.directlift.com/Pro-Park-8...ift-P44C9.aspx $1895, more like $2700 delivered and installed...

Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002