Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving etiquette..

Driving etiquette..

Well, I finally got to open the taps on good old Kingsbury Grade (SR 207) here in Lake Tahoe. No traffic, no weather, no ice, got the oil temp up to 180, and the gravel has been swept off the road. It's been so long since I've been able to unleash great vengeance and furious anger on the road in a 911.

For not having turbos and a little 2 liter engine at altitude, I have to say this car still really holds its own at speed. I love that funky feel as those torsion bars twist up in the turns, the car gripping onto the apex for dear life as you sling shot your way into the exit of the turn (insert Tim Allen grunt here )

BTW, that little electrical tape around the male connector of the radar detector idea was a real life saver I had enought time to stomp on the binders and give my best Eddie Haskell look when it started screaming KA band and the Douglas County Sheriff showed up a little while later. So, big thanks guys.

Anyways, I passed a Cayenne going the other way. I gave him the courtesy flash of the lights like I do for every other Porsche I cross paths with. About 90% (typically a 911 of some sort or a Boxster will flash back.) I had a 928 guy give me a stink eye, in this day and age, which I still kind of expect in a half hearted way. Part of the Audi mentality I guess, ha ha. But this guy looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. I mean a real deer in the headlights what the heck are you doing look, ha ha.
    So, I'm just curious, are Cayenne's considered to be part of the bretheren or are they the bastard step children that everyone else ignores because they are an SUV?

What's the deal with the tape on the plug?
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar
    Once the watercooled cars came out i started getting snubbed so often by the "nouveau porschistes" that i gave up on anything newer than a 993.

if i had to wave at every cayenne around where i live i'd get tennis elbow, the upside is i'd probably make friends with many a blond haired-big sunglassed sexy euro-mom, because that's mainly who drives 'em.

ever been out on the road and given another p-car owner the high sign only to realize you're not driving your porsche?

cheers,
    rich
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

I found that the flashing headlights (dipping) deal kind'a went away awhile back with all but 356 drivers, and then to themselves. Well that got pretty lonely, so I noticed exchanges between 356 and Early 911s... then Early 911s kind'a got on the deal with each other... and now the whole deal seems like it's coming back.

I'm with Rich, if I acknowledged every Cayenne in the L.A. area I'd get pulled over for faulty headlights......

I think there's maybe a couple of generations of 'none-car people' that doesn't get the whole flashing headlight deal anyway.......
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

No more light flashing for me. A friendly nod or tip 'o the cap will suffice.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

The tape on the radar detector was an idea I got from an earlier thread regarding the larger diameter of an older 911 lighter plug and a newer design smaller male adapter sitting in the plug wobbling around and losing connectivity.

Well, I'll do my part to bring the flash (dipping, I learned my one thing for the day ) back. It's funny, I see Corvette's of all era's doing it as well as the Subaru WRX gang adopting it up here as of late.

Funny story, the worst snub I ever got playing this game was something like 20 years ago now in this very car. The old man let me take it out for some reason of generosity and give my . I was 18 or 19 at the time. Tahoe is pretty small and there was a really cute blonde gal that went around town in a red 944. The type you would notice and turn your head for. As a hormonal late teen, I spotted her more than once. Well, this time I'm not in my mighty Rabbit and I'm in the cool car as I pull up next to her. I'm sporting my Oakley Frogskin glasses and my Op T-shirt, weren't the 80's cool? She looks over, kind of smiles, and says nice car. I start cheesing with my dorky smile and say thanks. Not missing a beat she asks, "does my Dad know I'm driving his mid life crisis toy?"
    Total devastation. It doesn't help when you buddy repeats it loud and often to all the buddies in the group. It became worse when they would spot her in town while driving the mighty Rabbit and they would say things like hey, turn on your fog lights, she'll notice you this time. Or quick, turn up the bass (this was the time when stereos could shake buildings and sound systems cost more than the cars they occupied.) I think the worst one was, well if you at least had a GTI or a 914 you might have a little chance. Ahhh, youth.

Drive it like you stole it Ghost Chaser's Avatar
    Ok, so now she's probably about 60 and drives a Prius. I'd say your chances of scoring have increased significantly.
    Rich

Early S Registry Member #1394.

It's nobody's business what cars I own. I will tell you one thing though, they're air cooled and I beat 'em like they owe me money.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. -- Mario Andretti

I give the "motorcycle salute" to all aircooled cars, these days. I typically get one back.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Ha, I wave at anything Porsche, not both arms though, usually just use the hand.

Experience shows, expensive looking women in large sunglasses exist in a different time space continuum and don`t even register... 30 somethings in anything from a Boxster to a GT3 look away quickly for fear I might break down at any moment and need a push or worse, a wrench... But once, just once, I waved at a guy in a fine looking Cayenne and in the split second we made eye contact I saw him put it all together. 42 years of uninterupted engineering brilliance between his car and mine, the love he had for his car, the joy he felt at seeing it`s grandfather... and he waved back and a smile became a laugh and we were past each other.

I remember my parents borrowing our neigbours Beetle to go on vacation in 1968 and been amazed at how Beetle owner flashed each other. Such joy.

Spread the joy I say.

Mike.