Thread: 245/50 tires on 7R wheels?

245/50 tires on 7R wheels?

Has anyone tried to fit a 245/50-15 Hoosier with 7R wheels on stock '72 fenders? Does it even sound possible? Thanks!
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Not easily possible, and likely impossible, although I don't know anyone that has tried. I talked to Harvey about this a few years ago and he felt it wouldn't work without surgery to the car. The best you can do is build some 7R offset wheels to 8" width (will fit) with 225/50 tires. They are incredibly tight. the difference in width between 225 and 245 tires is just over 3/4", a lot in an already cramped space.

If you were to try it, here's what I was thinking when I was considering this:
    • Max negative camber
    • Shave all suspension bolts
    • Hammer in the firwall where the side wall would touch
    • Roll the fender lips
    • Use wheels spacers to set the wheel depth perfectly, using a lathe to take the spacer down a mm at a time until you have clearance inboard.

If these don't work, the last, desperation option is to place fanned cuts fore and aft of the wheel arches from the bottom of the sill (perpendicular to the ground), to just above the height of the flare (do not cut if off). Use a spreader to push them outward so they clear the tire, then tack them in place. Scab in some metal, using filler to blend the surface.

This will work, but it is a LOT of trouble for tires that are essentially NLA.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I am in the process of fitting 225/15 (need to check if they are 45 or 50) Toyo888 on original 7R Fuchs with 28mm spacers (I think factory put on 27mm spacers). That seems to work, or almost work. I may need to go a little wider with the spacers to keep the oil line free of the tires on the inside of the fenders/chassis. To confirm, I first need to better align the wheel first.

Hi,

I have 215/60 on 7Rs on the rear of a standard body 71 car. These run 10mm spacers and none rolled arches. It also runs a 74- front oil cooler system and with those spacers it clears the hard lines by (not a lot)! plus there is not much against the wing.

Hope that may help

Alan

Thanks everyone. I'm running 225/45 RA-1s with a 15mm spacer without problems and pretty sure I could get a 225/50. I was looking at options for more rubber in a track tire. The Toyo R888 comes in 235/50 and Hoosier in 245/50. The latter seemed like it would really be pushing the limit.
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

225/50/15 fit with almost no issues. Spacers are needed, maybe a little negative camber and possibly a little Dremel work on one of the torsion arm bolt heads. I know of more narrow body cars wunning these than I can count.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Alan.uk View Post
    Hi,

I have 215/60 on 7Rs on the rear of a standard body 71 car. These run 10mm spacers and none rolled arches. It also runs a 74- front oil cooler system and with those spacers it clears the hard lines by (not a lot)! plus there is not much against the wing.

Hope that may help

Alan
    Alan have you ever tried this set up (215/60 on 7Rs) on a non rolled arched SWB car ?
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Joe,
    Never tried them on SWB, but I will if you want..We have put on many 215/60s w 7Rs (LWB). We use 15mm spacers. The ideal would be 12-15mm (one customer tried 17s and quickly took them off)depending on the car and alignment/bushing wear. The 225/50s we use the same 15mm bolt to bolt adapters. You may have to roll the lips. I always suggest trial fitting and taking it easy until you are sure the tires won't rub...Repainting a fender is big trouble if you rush. There is lots of "maybe and ifs" because I have seen the fenders vary 6+mm side to side and overall..
    245s...I still would like to see just how much we would have to trim/shim.....At some point the tires just are too big...
    H

My initial goal on my narrow '69S was to try 245/50s, but the lack of tire choices made me go elsewhere. I settled on 215/60s simply because I could get a good tire with the same sidewall height as the 245/50. I think it is worth trying, although it is more likely to work on an LWB than an SWB.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

BTW Gib has 245/50s on 11s in the back of his green car...
    H