Thread: POC racing at Willow Springs: Triple Crown

POC racing at Willow Springs: Triple Crown

Hi all, I went to watch some of the POC Racing at Willow Springs Raceway on Saturday, May 1.

The Red and Orange Club Races were quite exciting. The 911s were giving the newer cars like Boxsters and 996s a hard time. In Red, #3 911 was making some nice passes on a 996 and fighting a 993. He came out on top. Mike Hammond was holding his own up at the front of the pack. In the Orange race, the #118 911 won, beating out a well-driven pink Boxster and a plethora of 911 race cars. He started on pole and drove a smooth, fast line to win. There was a yellow RSR replica there which looked very nice in its vintage graphics. I saw a few Pelican members' cars as well as our own Membership Chairman Mike Hammond's ride.

I will be posting many videos and photos on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/ on Sunday night. Before I get access to sufficient bandwidth, here are a couple samples.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I wish the R Gruppe guys were around to turn a few laps with the POC in their cool sports-purpose early 911s.

Today when I was headed to San Luis Obispo/Morro Bay area, I saw lots of sporty 911s headed south on the 101. Looked like some of the R Gruppe or Early 911S Registry. I think I saw the red "Rooster" and I had a positive ID on John Dilger. Were you guys coming back from Treffen?

My videos and photos are up. If anyone wants full size versions, let me know. The original, high res is available for download on Flickr but I can send the file via email if you want.

I hope to hear some drivers' stories about the fun racing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911...7623854446985/

Nice Moves!

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=bb0da20b95&photo_id=4573167192"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=71377" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=bb0da20b95&photo_id=4573167192" height="480" width="640"></embed></object>

Cool Cool Video! Air-Cooled vs Water-Cooled

Flieger

That's a great video of car #3, a mid bumper year car owned by Steve Alarcon, taking the inside line on turn #9 and carrying his speed past the water cooled black car.

Although the black water cooled car came back ahead on the straight, he fell victim again to Steve's #3, this time on the OUTSIDE line of turn #3/4.

I would not feel bad being beaten by Steve. He's got a few years of driving experience and knows a thing or to about suspensions.

That reminds me.....better get my long hood over to him.

Flieger,

Thanks for the video.

Paul & Judy

I think I read an article in Velocity about him- Racer of the Year 2009? Time Trial Champion because he won everything. He sure showed his skills at this event. I certainly have respect for him. He put on a great show.