Thread: 1966 911.. Portland Maine

1966 911.. Portland Maine

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1721115763.html
    Check it!! Never seen this color before?

6606 irish green
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Quote Originally Posted by pastel2020 View Post
    http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1721115763.html
    Check it!! Never seen this color before?
    Never seen this color before? It i one of the most popular colors of the early SWB cars. $14k seems like a great deal, unless of course the car is crawling with rust. And seeing that the car is located in Maine, the chances of there being significant rust are substantially higher than normal.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gruen911 View Post
    Never seen this color before? It i one of the most popular colors of the early SWB cars. $14k seems like a great deal, unless of course the car is crawling with rust. And seeing that the car is located in Maine, the chances of there being significant rust are substantially higher than normal.
    Sorry.. Didnt look like irish.. Looked more like Grass Green, judged on ****tie pics.. sry
    maybe because of the light coming through the trees.. It was just a heads up for someone out that way..

Quote Originally Posted by pastel2020 View Post
    Sorry.. Didnt look like irish.. Looked more like Grass Green, judged on ****tie pics.. sry
    maybe because of the light coming through the trees.. It was just a heads up for someone out that way..
    My username is gruen911 because I painted my first car 67 911 coupe irish green. I thought long and hard on the color and then one day walking down the upper west side of Manhattan I saw a drop dead beautiful irish green coupe parked in front of a store. In researching the color I found that a lot of the repaints of irish green were wrong: they are mostly darker and closer to british racing green. The correct Irish green could almost be mistaken for BRG, except on sunny days, and when the sun hits it just right, the emerald comes out. Great early color. Here are two pic's of my ex 67 to show you what I mean. I's the same car except Cibie hoodlamps were added later that summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh Ya,, for sure!!
    One of my Top 5 color choices.. Beautiful..!!
    Thanx for the pics..

Add'l Photos & Info

For anyone interested, the owner, Arne, provided me some add'l color re: the car and forwarded several photos. I've concluded it's too much work for me to handle, but it might be a good project for someone else. For what it's worth, Arne seems like a straight-shooter and made no effort to obfuscate any facts or exaggerate his car.

I've appended his comments below, along with a link to the photos:

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

Good luck!

----------

Car is available for ppi, I had a gentleman from VT come over this weekend - a couple things though. Best I can do is to put it up on jack stands but I think you can get a good look with it sitting on the rubber. I'm pretty sure I have a bad battery, we started it with a battery pack, drove it around and it did not seem to charge. I bought a new battery but haven't tried it yet. Guess there is a remote chance it's some other charging system problem but I have all new and clean grounding points. It is registered and insured but not inspected so a test drive will be kept close to home and with some trepidation. I.E. - if a cop sees us we will get stopped, no doubt.

I will send additional pics detailing areas of concern, near rear torsion tube mounts and around bottom corners of rear window. Needs upholstery, carpet (I have a brand new set) and headliner. The left rear interior panel is rusty around the bolt for the shoulder harness. Though I can find no record of what happened the left door and rear fender are painted a slightly different color - or - the original paint on the rest of the car has faded. There are mysterious oversprays. I have the original chrome wheels but they're in sad shape. Looks like one or two oil return tubes leaking. Both window regulators need adjustment but will go up and down with assistance. Wipers have one speed, -slow. tach is not original (I have a non-working original). Around drivers side door latch is showing rust signs but seems quite solid.

As far as history --- purchase date 3/31/66, chassis #303428 but has engine 903532 which according to what I've read is a 1965 serial number but it is the original engine according to the maintenance booklet. I cannot vouch it is the original transmission but I can only find papers on transaxle work and 2nd gear. major engine work done in 1974, grind valves, new guides, reface heads, rods, rockers and crank magnafluxed and some replaced. There is a "R&R engine" in 1977 at 82,000 mi. that is difficult to decipher but looks like resurface cam and heads. I bought in 1986 at 108,000mi and have put less than 9000mi. on it. Floor pan and front suspension pan have been replaced. Rear main seal replaced. Webers were fitted with new (about 500 mi.ago) throttle shafts by Pierce Manifold and are completely rebuilt including new floats, pump, needle valves, jets, air correction, emulsion tubes, etc. but, I'm sure, could do with removing the lead plugs and cleaning.

By S-style I mean it was bought as a regular model, the S hadn't come out yet and it has Weber carbs and Fuchs alloy wheels. I have the original wheels (poor but I think recoverable shape) but not the Solex carbs. Difficult to say how extensive the rust is. The overall body has knicks and small dings. As shown in the pics there is rust in between the rear torsion tube mount and jack receiver on both sides. It doesn't yet seem to affect the integrity of either spots, I jack it up all the time. The rust at the bottom corners of the rear glass is more problematic, looks like the seal may have shrunk(?) allowing water in. The area of the large bolt on the inside of the left rear quarter where you would attach a shoulder belt is rusted and that is a mystery. It's inside the vehicle and the right mount is fine. Somebody with a knowledge of custom body work may be able to tell you how extensive some of these repairs may be. Truth is I've driven the car for several years in this condition and it's been Maine inspected every year though i think technically they are not supposed to pass it with an oil leak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100