Thread: WTB: SWB Euro Headlights

WTB: SWB Euro Headlights

Looking for a nice pair of Euro headlights for my 67 S restoration. PM with details if you have a set.

Thanks!
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera

I added Euro lenses from Stoddard to my car's early lights to return them to the original Euro look.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

It's the chrome trim ring that's the kicker. If I remember correctly there was a thread on converting VW type with tab @ 6 o'clock. Kenik may have even started the thread.
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

What is considered "SWB EURO HEADLIGHTS"? AKA "early H4s"?

Well aware of the clear US Hella 19 20 21 set up.

Hella rings? Bosch rings?

Bosch Lenses? Markings?

Hella Lenses? Markings?
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Morning-

IIRC- the Euro headlight has a fluted lens and a single bulb/reflector. The US version has a clear lens and a 7" sealed beam light.
    Scott

Early S Reg. #1694/R-Gruppe #638

74 Carrera

Mark, that was indeed my thread, which showed ho to convert readily available (and inexpensive repro) 356 lights to use in an early 911:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=31242

The repro guts are a bit different, as well, but fit up perfectly to the early 911, as you'll see in the thread above.

That said, I think we are mixing questions here. I believe saz is asking what it takes to add "Euro" style, which is an easy conversion using an existing set of early US lights. Euro were actually the same headlight as the US lights, just with different lenses and H4 non-sealed beams.

Comparison of Early US 911 headlights:

On the US units, the sealed beam units were fluted and the bucket lenses were transparent:

Here are the correct sealed beams for a US headlight:

The differences between US and Euro headlights are that the Euro were H4 units (with removable bulbs) that didn't use the sealed beams and didn't have fluted glass...the flutes in the glass for Euro units were in the lenses, as below (please ignore the fact that these are shots of 356 light - the only meaningful difference is the tab at the bottom of the ring):

Comparison of Euro Headlights:

Adding Euro Lights to your car
    Simply buy the fluted glass from Stoddard and convert your sealed beam assembly to a non-refractory H4 type and you are good to go. I took the liberty of buying yellow H4 enclosures for some added effect - it works well and looks cool! I used these very inexpensive units I bough on Ebay from seller "carpartnation":

Although the reflector is faceted, they work extremely well! Here are mine:

I believe that the Stoddard lenses are marked "Hella" and there is some debate regarding whether the original 911 lenses were marked "Bosch"...I am interested to hear more, but think I have one original Euro lens, so might be able to check.

I also recommend using a relay to help with improving the performance of these lights. the 40+ year old light switch is invariably costing you lumens. Here's my thread on Pelican regarding how to fit the Sucro/JWest relay into an SWB:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...relay-swb.html

You can replace the cracked grommets using off-the-shelf Home Depot parts, too. My thread here explains how:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=26785

One last detail: you can get the correct paint color and finish for the buckets from any auto paint store. The color is a perfect match for an old Ford color, Titanium Gray, which can be mixed and put in a spray can. I can look up the color code if anyone needs it.

The above info should get you where you need to go in pursuit of restoring and converting your lights.
    I hope this helps.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

A nice reference thread on headlight engineering:
    http://www.ratwell.com/technical/BoschH4.html

BTW, with the relays installed, you can also use 100W H4 bulbs for some REAL light power.

I have cross posted this info to the technical forum for further discussion:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=34184
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I took a set of h-4's and just added the 356 fluted lens which doesn't have the shelf on top of the lens.

The early 911 Euro headlight assemblies were non halogen. They had a tungsten bulb type (the big round globe). I think they were by Bosch. I've got some at the cabin and will check this upcoming weekend. Being kept for future use, nfs.

Eric