Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e34 M5 Sedan

e34 M5 Sedan

These cars were 'hand-built,' pretty much to order. American versions were expensive but European cars were even more, usually much more customized and, after '93, more powerful:

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

Vehicle appears to be properly tagged as 'federalized.' Special paint, an M-cloth interior, and the final 3.8 liter (~350HP) motor and 6-speed. Missing the proper forged 10-spoke wheels, I believe. And no mention of the 'Nurburgring' (adjustable) suspension. A custom, hand-built, German sports sedan . . . for $17k.

Oh, yeah . . . car'll do +170 MPH.

Achtung! Löschen Sie das links, bitte!

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Its a great car and the right color, stealth grey, pretty heavy miles though and for us here in CA a mandatory trip to the referree station every 2 years for smog.

With the horsepower wars underway amongst the German manufacurers for the last 12 years there are some pretty decent alternatives:
    A 2002 AMG E55 with 70,000 miles can be had unmolested for $13,000-$15,000 and that is the last of the handbuilt AMGs, stunning performance, loaded with modern safety items and built like a tank.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbeverlyhills View Post
    A 2002 AMG E55 with 70,000 miles can be had unmolested for $13,000-$15,000 and that is the last of the handbuilt AMGs, stunning performance, loaded with modern safety items and built like a tank.
    But they'll eat you alive in tire costs...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

... if all of those hot roded baby carrier wouldn't look so damn boring ...
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Yep, $375 apeice at the rear each and only good for 8,000 miles with a firm right foot but I save with the 911 tires and the smile is worth it!

M5 Touring . . .

. . . aka Hellwagen --- when you absolutely positively wanna to really haul your babies:

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?i...orm_display=51

This one's a little 'too' . . . but only ~850 units were ever built. Most Tourings are very special, if not always . . . restrained. Small batches of custom colors, leather-everything interiors, electronic damper control (over 15-years ago), etc.

And Tourings were the $h#t. This one looks to have the forged split-spoke wheels as well as one of the more, um, 'special' colors these cars could have. So NOT like Mercedes or Audi. And, unlike the contemporary AMG products, these M-cars were available only with the manual transmission. For that reason alone, M-cars are unique, both in character and feel.

And regarding horsepower or comparing 'numbers,' past or present . . . I've driven several e34 M5s. To me, they're not particularly quick or torquey. But. These cars push a LOT of power (~400 hp) out of a 3.8 liter motor. For comparison, Porsche's own GT3s just reached those kinds of outputs with that displacement. And the Big Sixes in these cars wind up like a turbine --- not a muscle-car. Inside, they're pretty cozy, too --- very much the 'velvet glove.' But, especially if you're driving, once they power up --- very 'fisty.' The sounds and sensations are WAY different from the ones with a larger-displacement motor, V8s or V10s. Instead of growling or rumbling . . . these cars sing.

There's no metric for it . . but I love to hear this car 'work.'

IMHO, barring some really serious neglect and/or mechanical misfortune, mileage in these cars is pretty much irrelevant. These were/are high-end cars, even 15 years on, and take some commitment to run. But I doubt if many of us are unfamiliar with keeping older exotic German machinery working properly. And BMW loves their older furrier M-cars, and supports them through their Mobile Tradition program. Just fly on . . . and don't hit anything too hard.

And still costs less then AMG's ugly-ass E63 will depreciate in the next year!

Rick Kreiskott
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

Rick, that is one sexy b!tch.

Love the color combo on the interior, but I'm a dirty bastard and I can't see myself keeping it clean for long.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I Know, I Know . . .

. . . and with that leather dash, and console . . . and door-tops . . . and door-pulls . . . and head-liner . . . you'll swear you're hearing cows moaning as all that stitching tightens and pulls on a hot SoCal day!! . . .

Then again . . . I hear Lexus makes a nice quiet car.

Easy to clean, too.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

That at least has a very cool color combo and I can throw the dog in the back - I currently drive a super boring 3 series station wagon as a daily driver. Only reason I bought that car was my 70 pound Golden Retriever ...

Still, I am not getting four-door "super cars": Isn't there so much more fun to be head with, and cheaper, with two doors in a lighter car? I think I can buy a boring family sedan for cheap and a Lotus or something for fun (Early 911, 914, Alfa, what have you).
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

Price/value . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Baum View Post
    . . . Still, I am not getting four-door "super cars": Isn't there so much more fun to be head with, and cheaper, with two doors in a lighter car? . . .
    That's kinda why I post about cars like this, to bring up the whole price/value aspect. I mean, to me, this isn't a 'super car.' It's a hand-built, 4-passenger, 170 MPH alternative to a warmed-over motor . . . or a really nice paint job.

Or the soccer-taxi/dog-hauler many of us think we're stuck with.

Rick Kreiskott

PS And Mike, I don't know which BMW wagon you've got --- e46 3-series? --- but an e34 M5 weighs ~3650 lbs . . . about the same. Maybe less. And for $17k --- I could buy a LOT of gas before I paid the same.

We Can Be Heroes