Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: front license plate

front license plate

Anyone have a suggestion on how to mount a front plate on a steel spoiler without it being a mortal sin (drilling holes)? Am I screwed?
    It's a '73S in California.

Any advice is welcomed.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

It is not required as long as it wasn't delivered w/ front plate, with an inferred caveat.

CA5200:

(a) When two license plates are issued by the department for
    use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which
    they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle,
    it shall be attached to the rear thereof, unless the license plate is
    issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate
    shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
    Thus if you have a car originally issued with one plate and still have those plates on the car, you only need to run one plate. My '66 for example, I still have the original black plate, of which it was delivered with only one plate, so I could potentially run the car with one plate, if the car had been continually registered on that plate in CA.

Since the car is now in WA on WA plates, it would likely be issued 2 plates upon repatriation to the great Republic of Cashlessfornia. I am not sure what CA laws are on reaffixing black plates.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

On another note, I say f--- 'em. Run without it, take the chance of a fix it ticket and in case you get one, simply affix the plate to one of the overrider bolts. You could pull one of them off, put an L-bracket between the bumperette and bumper to mount the plate - it would pass inspection.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

In California a front plate is required. As stated, I would deal with it when I got the fix it ticket...velcro or maybe this will work?
    http://www.birdmanferrari.com/bracke...se_bracket.htm

If you must have a plate, it's pretty simple to bend a piece of 1/8" x 3/4" aluminum up from underneath the car, attach it there with one or two bolts, add a cross piece at the upswept end to which you bolt the plate. About an hour and $5 worth of hardware store aluminum will do it. Start by finding something under the car you can bolt to...on my early cars it is easy, not sure about later models.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

IL is simmilar in wanting two plates...

I have yet to run one because as you state the "S" bumper does not seem give any options. If you car was not delivered with a plate then there are no holes.

Dave,

Please see the link below for the proper brackets; Photo also posted for ref.

http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=13157

-Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Thanks to all. I really appreciate everyones responses.

Kenick, I'm the guy who gets the ticket in a group of 10 cars all going 80mph. In other words I'd like to say f... it.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

Lax

don't even get near LAX w/o a front plate. On a good day they will give you a warning, otherwise you're a pedestrian
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

I have to go with Kenikh on this one. I live 3 miles from the Ca. Border presently, but lived in Ca. up until 5 years ago. My 911 did the same thing as yours and has run without a plate on the front since 87. With the age of the car, you will get very little push back if you don't place a front plate on the car. Look at all the Corvettes C4 and newer (84 to today) and none of them in Ca. have a front plate. I have a few cop buddies who blatantly state that the main reson for having a front plate is to have a big metal surface to get a return for a radar detector or a lidar gun.
    I don't know the legal writing of the law in Ca. anymore, but I know that it is a soft reason to pull a car over. Wait until it becomes an issue, compain to the judge about maintaining the integrity of the car, see where it goes. Remember, innocent until proven guilty.

PS, never pulled over for no front plate.