Thread: RS#0987 Brack car

RS#0987 Brack car

Rick Cabell

I just ran across a photo of your car RS 0987 in Brack livery from the 1978 Monte

I presume you have a copy of this but I am posting it because it is a great photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Boy, that looks like fun doesn't it?

Rick, you should restore it with the roof antennas.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Yes, this does look really nice! Agree, period correct Bosch lights, bar and '78 Rallye Monte Carlo plate too!

It's amazing how many different subtle details get changed from race to race in the history of a particular car. When doing a period restoration, really comes down to choosing an individual event (and one that you happen to have numerous ref. photos of) and making that 'snapshot' in time.

Rick, I can create an exact replica of the graphics to help.

Rs 987

Thanks Hugh.
    That's the first photo of the car I got from a famous German rally photographer. Ulrich?
    That's the 78 Monte Carlo rally. Manfred Hero who built the car has the trophey from the event. It finished 1st in class for a private German team. I have a bunch more photos, but they don't seem to want to download today. It has the original aluminum Matter cage, factory roof rack, antenna's,ect.
    The car is almost ready for paint. The original color was tangerine. I HATE color changes,as it was always raced in light yellow. I was going to paint it in it's original color. Rennman is screaming that I must bring it to it's racing livery and at least paint the exterior flat panels in light yellow. I can't seem to come to grips with this. Any thoughts?

Hugh, Where did you find that photo?

Rick, don't change the color. Please....go Tangerine, factory provenance trumps racing color changes....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Hi Rick

Nick Moss posted it on DDK
    in this thread http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vie...asc&start=1035

On the colour change someone i know is restoring a factory car that was not raced in traditional factory colours or its original colour - tangerine.

he is first painting it (from bare metal) in its original production line colour and then repainting the colours it is best known in over the tangerine on the outside panels only as it would have been when raced. Therefore the end result look strange at first when you open a door etc - but that is what the race car would have looked like - and it is relatively easy to change back to stock.

it is a hard decision and the person i know agonized over it for some months before deciding to go this way. for what it is worth i think he made the correct decision
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Imo, if it was a factory race car then the og paint may trump the race livery but I would argue that a privateer car would have its greatest provenance in its most successful and or most famous race livery,especially if you have the trophy. Steve

Now I have to make the decision.

Hi Rick

Send you a private Message

Leon
    911 S Targa 68 11850243
    911 S 69 #119300002 Ex Dr.F Porsche
    911 ST Replica 72
    59 VW Deluxe Microbus 23 Window
    58 Durkopp Diana Scooter