Thread: Sources for trunk parts

Sources for trunk parts

Hi all,

I'm at the beginning of the reassembly phase of my restoration (1970 T targa), after finally getting it painted. I'll include one gratuitous photo, but there's lots more on my Pelican thread and on my blog (mk911.blogspot.com).

I'm starting with the guts, electrical and such, and I'm hoping someone can point me to a source for some minor parts that are holding things up. I'm looking for a number of grommets for the trunk: for dash switches (on firewall), heater hose surrounds (where they enter the trunk from below), and washer bottle filler neck (where it goes through the front bulkhead). I also need a few of the snap plates that get bolted on with the front fenders to secure the trunk carpet. Pictures of most of these are attached. I've searched the usual places, and am coming up empty. Also Stoddards' website says that the 15mm plastic plugs are 'discontinued'. Any ideas on sources or substitutes there?

I'm not after 100% originality. I mainly want to make sure things work and, in the case of these grommets, that things seal up and are well protected.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA
    restoration blog: mk911.blogspot.com

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Trunk parts

Hi, it seems strange that Stoddard doesn't have the clip to attach the carpet to the front fenders. Let me ask around here and get back to you.

Best regards,

Cees

Sources for trunk parts

Why not just clean up and use what you have, from the pictures those sure look salvageable. I have found that there are an amazing number of part numbers still available if you'll just look up the numbers yourself and just hand the part number to the dealer parts man. Since most of them were born AFTER your car was built, and those numbers are in paper books that are completely foreign to this generation, you need to make it as easy as possible for them.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Why not just clean up and use what you have, from the pictures those sure look salvageable. I have found that there are an amazing number of part numbers still available if you'll just look up the numbers yourself and just hand the part number to the dealer parts man. Since most of them were born AFTER your car was built, and those numbers are in paper books that are completely foreign to this generation, you need to make it as easy as possible for them.
    It helps to bring the old part in to match up against the new part. Many parts are superceded to a later version.

Also expect to wait for the dealer to order these parts. They never have it on the shelf.

Good luck.
    Bert Jayasekera
    1970 911T - Tangerine Orange
    Early 911S Registry #494
    R Gruppe #167

part numbers

Thanks gents. I found part numbers for 3 of the 4.

Heater hose gasket for trunk – 901.572.913.01
    Dash switch grommet – not in PET
    Washer bottle neck gasket – 901.628.183.00
    “desk pad with push button” (trunk snap) – 911.503.075.00

I see that although not in the catalog these do come up on Pelican as 'nonreturnable, special order, availability and shipping charges may vary". Not encouraging. I'll head to the dealer and see what they have to say.

Cheers,
    Mike
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA

Hi Mike,

Bar the dash switch seal (I have some if needed) all those parts are availble new from Porsche. We buy them all the time for our restorations and have them here normally next day. Go to your OPC (porsche dealer) and they will be able to get them for you. If you get stuck let me know I have all that in stock but I am in the UK.

HTH

Alan

PS. Car looks great

The dealer had no problem getting the heater hose and washer bottle neck gaskets, and had them within two days of my order. They also had the carpet snaps, but $12 each, I'm going attach a snap to a small piece of sheet metal myself. There's not much to them. The dash switch gaskets were a mystery to them too, though, so Alan, if you do have three of these you could part with, let me know what you'd need to get them here. I'll PM you my full address, but it's Santa Barbara, CA 93111.

Thanks all,
    Mike
    --------------
    Mike Caterino
    1970 T targa
    Santa Barbara, CA