Thread: Parcel Shelf Repair

Parcel Shelf Repair

(nb moved from "for sale" section)

For anyone that's interested, some work on the parcel shelf.
    It was (very politely) past its best ...
    I did all the pre-work, stripped it down as far as i coulnd
    I was luck enough to find a real craftsman, who then did some magic ... ... but at a cost !!
    We used a (very expensive) historika parcel shelf, which was fine. The craftsman made a lot himself .. and could probably have made the parcel shelf too ... but anyway !

What do you think ?!
    (because my Conda car needs a similar job ...) !

What's worse - it's largely my fault. Where there's a reasonable chance of rain / car getting wet ... PUT NEW SEALS IN ... THEY ARE VERY CHEAP (even here in Australia, $200 only from Porsche) COMPARED TO THE RESTORATION !!!!

For those that haven't taken up the vinyl rear parcel shelf cover, the cylindrical bits showing proud of the shelf are the rear seat belt mounts. These are not simply welded onto the metal parcel shelf, but are a separate piece, with additional strengthening, which is welded onto the rear of the parcel shelf.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Parcel Shelf Work

Parcel Shelf Work
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e

where the craftsman took over ...

it got a bit frightening at this point ... ?!?!?!

(engine was dropped obviously)
    Paul

first shots of some of the work done.

Parcel Shelf shaped (there was a lot of spare metal around the window edge) and welded in.
    Patch shaped, formed, and welded in at the top of the rear seat area

feeling a little more relieved !
    Paul

and underneath the engine lid, as part of the parcel shelf rust, the top corners were repaired with a fair bit being cut out ...
    Paul

... and whilst i'm posting, at the front of the car - underneath the air vent (between the bonnet hinges) this area collects leaves and muck which hides underneath the rubber. Other than regular cleaning (which i should be doing) is there another way of keeping safe ??

(more work to do here obviously)

Overall on the car, my plan is to get rust-free now, prepare and protect 200%, then put the old trim back in. When the children have got old enough to take more care getting in and out ... school bags, trumpets and clarinets etc ... i'll get repainted outside, and re-do the interior in new leather, and put a new black headliner in. But that's a while away ... !!
    Paul

Looking good! will have to do similar repair on my '67 somewhere down the line....... Aussies, and for that matter Kiwis as well....some of the best fabricators on the planet!

Whoa, I just had a case of de-ja vu when I saw your pics. I was doing the same thing a little over a year ago.

Looks good, keep it up!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Nice stuff Paul. I've got the rear corners of my parcel shelf to clean up... Not looking forward!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga