Thread: 962-powered '89 Speedster (!!!)

962-powered '89 Speedster (!!!)

On Craigslist in Las Vegas:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1785944015.html

"581.5 HP @6500 RPM (1.1 BAR BOOST)

PEAK TORQUE OF 550 LB. FT. @ 4000 RPM

TOP SPEED: 210 MPH"

Sounds like hyperbole, but it was built by Bruce Canepa!
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

At $229000, I think the guy's dreaming.

Yes it is unique, perhaps, but is that a good thing in this case? Bastardizing an '89 Speedster could have been done with more taste, IMHO. It doesn't appear that the engine is actually from a 962, but just a flat fan added to an air-cooled block with twin K26 turbochargers and Haltech EFI with big intercoolers.

The centerlock hubs are a nice touch, but did you notice this? "ORIGINALLY THEY HAD PLANNED TO USE COIL OVER SUSPENSION BUT CANEPA FELT IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT COMPROMISE FOR A STREET CAR, INSTEAD THEY CHOSE TO USE TORSION BARS BECAUSE THEY WORKED WELL ON ALL PAVEMENT CONDITIONS." Come on--modern suspensions have come a long way since the torsion bar era.

What Porschephile would choose to buy this over a new GT2, which would have just as much power from the factory, handle better, look nicer, be faster and more comfortable, while costing less $$$ in the process (with better service/support)? Or buy an '89 Speedster for $40-50K, take it to GMG or 911 Design and let your imagination run wild. Or better yet, start with this '92 America Roadster for $37K and you would already have the coilover suspension and a 3.6. You could end up with the meanest roadster of your dreams for way less than $150K, if you just had to have a ragtop with attitude. A remote connection of this car to Canepa doesn't mean a lot to me.

Just my $0.02,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

There was a 962-powered 89 Speedster that haunted SoCal POC trackdays and various car shows for years. It was owned by a father and son who drove the crap out of the thing. It was bloody-hell fast.

This may or may not be that car (I'm going with "not") as the one I've seen had 3.6 Turbo Speedlines on it for the street and Fikse race wheels at track days.

Either way, well executed and one that I would enjoy owning if the stars were properly aligned.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    Either way, well executed and one that I would enjoy owning if the stars were properly aligned.
    That may well be so, Marco, but you and your dad could build a better one for a lot less than $229K!

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

That turbo rocket-Speedster in SoCal is still owned by the father and son team - Quite nice guys - They are my plumbers ... (Really, not kidding ...)
    Mike Baum #505

57 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint
    60 Citroën ID
    61 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile
    64 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI
    66 Lancia Flavia Sport Zagato
    69 911S Targa (Soft Window)
    72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1600

This is the Primm car...

This is the car commissioned by the owner of Primm Resort (s). whose name is also Primm - I think...some one correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.

I've never actually seen this car...but with Canepa onboard I don't doubt this was a top-shelf build.

Good luck to the seller. Lot's of nice iron to be had @ at that price point.

He only needs one buyer.

Cheers
    R/Thom
    www.pmletter.com

89 speedster

this car would not bring the money that a orignial speedeter would get this guy is gong to find out that he is going to take a bath on this one if he gets 20.000 dollars he should take it the orignial motor included GOOD LUCK YOUR GOING TO NEED IT

Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

Hard to tell exactly what the motor is but a real IMSA 962 Air motor will bring around 100k or better if complete with all the parts and engine management. So lets say the motor is complete and was in true 962 dress with the flat fan and all the carbon fiber fans and shrouds etc....there is not another 100K plus of car there.... it is a cool car but you could have bought the Dennis Aase built direct replica of a 934 with California Title for 85K on Ebay two years ago when the market was hotter .. now that car was a steal.
    935 Owners Registry #02
    1969 911S, 1970 Euro 914-6
    935 1978
    Copeman Porsche 911 IMSA GTO
    1981 924 Carrera GT

Who left those cake boxes on top of the engine?
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100