Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 914-6GT post moved to off topic.. WHY

Question My 914-6GT post moved to off topic.. WHY

Chuck Miller please chime in and explain, either by reply to this post or by private message/

I posted my "914-6GT Eye Candy" post this morning and someone moved it to "Off Topic" section.

See http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=34866

I am a payed up member of the Early 911 registry.

The 914-6 is a legitmate Porsche, body, engine, gearbox and final assembly all having been designed, built and assembled by and at Porsche.

In 1970 a 914-6GT came in 6th overall at Lemans.. first production car.

All the (real) 914-6s were built before 1973 which seem to be the cut off point for the Early 911S Registry. Porsche 914-6s are comtemporaries to all early 911's and 914-6GTs are contemporaries to 911S's and even RS's.

Forum Board, please explain.

Thanks in advance

Martin Jansen

Well, my guess is that although many think of this as the home away from home for R Gruppe chat, this is the Early 911 Regsitry, which is for longhood 911S, not 914-6s. While the R Gruppe embraces the 914-6, the Early S has a different focus.

Personally, I like 914-6 discussion and content front and center, but a line has to be drawn somewhere and I think you just found it.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

I think it is the way the board is organized. Check out the thread on 964s in off topic. It has grown legs and draws interest. This would be a similiar topic. The cars are very cool and I would love a 914-6......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Martin, anything non-early 911 is relegated to Off Topic. It's nothing personal, I assure you; rather, it's just based on the organization of the site's content.

Heck, I put my 914-6 build thread in OT ... But the motor thread is going in the tech section.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    ... But the motor thread is going in the tech section.
    Always working the system..........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Smile 911S Purity???? Is it realy there????

You know the "club" is known as the Early 911S Registry, yet most of my friends that I know in the Early S "club" drive in RS wannabees with big motors made out of some early 911T. Nothing wrong with that, in fact it is a good thing. Piech would have heartedly approved.

When we enjoy the Targa California, we see a lot of these RS and ST and R and "outlaw" 911 replicas . But interestingly, Dave Bouzaglou, who organizes the Targa California, and contributes significantly to the early 911 movement, also drives a 1970 914-6. And there is nothing wrong with that. We ALL belong within/under the same EARLY 6 cylinder aircooled Porsche umbrella.

The "early Porsche 914-6" belongs in the same special car grouping as 70 to 73 911s. Even Ferry Porsche had a special personalized 914-8 which by all acounts enjoyed and drove for quite some time. Actually the first Porsche sports car was also mid-engined.

And when the Early 911S groups accepts my yearly dues, they do not specify that my early Porsche posts are not welcome just because I drive a 914-6.

And unlike the 964, the 914-6s were built mostly in 1970 and 1971, which is squarely within the time period of the "club's" "Early" bookends.

So moderators, please revise your "policy" if indeed it is such, with respect to "early" 914-6s.

Thank you,

Martin Jansen

Lighten up, Martin.

Is it that much trouble to go into the "Off Topic" forum? It is not any more mouse clicks. There is nothing that says "Off Topic" is any less interesting or important a forum. It helps to organize the site.

Pelican Off Topic is a much different thing.

Also, if you click "New Posts" up at the top of the window, it shows all threads updated since your last visit, regardless of forum. Makes it easy to find everything you are interested in.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I'll be the first to admit that I almost never look in Off Topic here and NEVER on Pelican...

Unlike Pelican, OT traffic here is near nil. And if you have ever wandered in there on Pelican, that's a good thing. It's a cess pool.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Lightbulb

Martin and all....... so much hub-bub.....

Here's what's under the 'General Info'
    General discussion topics about early 911s
    Sure, sometimes there is other Porsche content in the 'random videos' or 'Porsche Rally pictures' but the intent in 'General Info' is always pre '74 911's

As to the S in Early 911S Registry... We are trying to be as inclusive without changing our name as possible. We refer to ourselves as 'The Registry' as much as we can, and have included a header on every page of this board stating 'A Forum For ALL Early 911 Enthusiasts'

I love 914-6's in all forms, I like Martin's car, and REALLY like Tony's car... I've pitted for Topper Chassie's 914-6 (that he raced since new up to the year he passed away) on many occasions.... AND I think Martin's lovely wife deserves a medal for passengering on some of runs we've been on....

However,

In the 'General Info' this is still an Early 911 Forum...

All other Porsches' are MORE then welcome to be in the club and to post in the 'Off Topic Forum'......I'm sorry if that's not agreeable, but as was said, we have to draw the line somewhere....

I will add to the '914-6 Eye Candy' thread in 'Off Topics'.... and delete this thread by tomorrow...

Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck, does this apply to the "Drives, Tours, and Gatherings" Forum? I like to post photos of racing, and at ALMS races there are no early 911s, but I think that people who are interested in seeing the photos would be more likely to see them in that forum, rather than "Off Topic".
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425