Thread: 3.9 motor 363HP for Sale

3.9 motor 363HP for Sale

The motor is completely broken in, 6,000 miles, runs perfectly. Unfortunately, I must sell this motor, not what I had planned when building it. I have close to $60,000 in it, (over $30K in parts) will sell for $35,000 or offer, will consider some trades of parts, wheels, et, what do you have? Probably the only 3.9 in the world with 50 PMO carbs. Will mount in your car very easily, without any mods to speak of. Complete motor with all iginition and wiring, clutch and flywheel and pressure plate. You can pay over $20,000 for a complete normal engine rebuild, why not have the only one in the world with 363HP, and bullet proof? You can drive it in my car before purchase.
    3.9 Motor with 363 HP and 304 LB-FT of torque.
    Work on motor by Competition Engineering, Lake Isabella, California, and Tom Woodford, Nevada.

Crankcase: 1995 993 3.6. All galley plugs replaced with threaded access plugs, and Crankcase flushed with “Methanol Acetone”. Spigots bored for 104mm (L&N Cylinders), Main webs (Boat-tailed) for increased RPM. Main webs shuffle pinned, & ARP Head Studs.

Crankshaft: Magnaflux Crankshaft, Galley plugs replaced with threaded access plugs, Center main journal modified for better oiling, Counterweights knife-edged. All journals (Prism Micro-Polished). Balanced to (.011) Dynamic & (.0) Kinetic

Rods: Hand clearance & polished Carrillo Rods with high grade bolts. Balanced to (0)

Oil Pump: 993-RSR Pump. Clearanced for Rods & tested.

Pistons and Cylinders: 104mm Nickie Cylinders with updated style J&E 11:5 Pistons. “Embee” Ceramic coating on Domes. Teflon on Skirts. Balanced to (0), Rings gapped to .046mm x .055 Scraper.

Heads: Modified for 51.5mm RSR intake valves, with 8mm stems. Special hand shaped and polished Valve Guides. Ported and flow matched to both EFI & PMO manifolds. OE injection ports welded and flanged fly cut to new angle. Chambers/Valves & Exhaust ports Ceramic Coated. High flow 5 angle valve job set to GE 60 Cams. High performance valve springs, titanium retainers. All volumes measured and matched for displacement & compression calculations. All valves stem polished and CE Racing Springs spec. set.

Flywheel and Clutch: Flywheel lightened & Reconditioned with “turned” clutch surface. Pressure Plate & Disc by (Centerforce) balanced to (0) with ring-gear.

Walt assembled the engine many times to test all clearances and volumes. Valve pockets were cut deeper to give more reliability. 2mm Exhaust & 1.89mm Intake.
    The head studs are ARP and torqued to 36ft.lbs. The cam carriers are 964 and incorporate early style adjustable rockers. The cams are GE-60 and were reground by WEBCAM. The engine was assembled using Locktite 574. The valve covers are aluminum, made by Hargett Precision Products.

Induction System: PMO 50mm carbs. They were rejetted using 60 idles jets. A PMO fuel pressure regulator was fitted allowing the use of the stock MFI fuel pump.

Ignition System: Patrick Motorsports twin plug. It includes a 12 wire distributor, custom ignition wires, twin MSD-6AL CD boxes and twin coils. Total advance is 28 degrees.

Exhaust System: 1 & ¾” headers built by European Racing Headers. The exhaust flows into a muffler on each cylinder bank and then into a custom crossover pipe with twin outlets. This simulates a “Sport Muffler”.

Tom spent over 8 hours with the engine on a Dyno to do the final tuning.
    The results are listed below:

3750 RPM 273 Torque- 195 HP, 4000 RPM 285 Torque- 217 HP, 4,500 RPM 294 Torque -252 HP, 5,000 RPM 304 torque-289 HP, 5,500 RPM 293 Torque -307 HP, 6,000 RPM 287 Torque -328 HP, 6,500 RPM 278 Torque -344 HP, 7,000 RPM 269 Torque -359 HP, 7,250 RPM 263 Torque- 363 HP, 7,500 RPM 251 Torque 359 HP. Motor was built to turn 8,000, but as you can see the torque curve is so flat, and the HP stopped increasing at 7,250, that I have been using 6,800 as a shift point. In doing that, the motor will last for at least 100,000 miles or more. I have a front oil cooler with a fan that kicks on at 210 degrees. The motor will drive in stop and go traffic with no overheating, staying at about 200. While driving on this year’s Targa California, it never ran over 230 degrees, even with constant hard driving.
    Yes, it pulls like a freight train, very exciting to drive, yet very streetable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Flywheel and Clutch

For those who have inquired, the flywheel and clutch assembly mate up to a 915 Trans.
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

That would be soooooo sweeeet in my 71............. but so would the cheese in my account

It is sweet. Great price also. I've been a passenger in the car with this engine and it's awesome!
    72S, 72T now ST

3.9 motor

Engine has been sold, thanks for all of the replies
    S Registry #265
    R Gruppe #224

Thumbs up

Congrats on the sale Eade. Sorry to see it go. One hell of a nice build!

I worked with Damon a little on the amber engine schrouds. I've got to say it sure looks right.

Helluva motor.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183