Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop L and M vintage any experience.

Dunlop L and M vintage any experience.

Thinking of running 550L's front 500M's rear all 15's. 7R rear and deep 6 front, 95% street 5 track want old school look. Alternative Goodyear 5.50 blue streaks all 4 corners or ?????????
    Early 911S member #166

I have no problem with the theory that all men are created equal.
    But after that moment you are on your own and nobody owes you a damn thing.

Raj, yes a SWB 67 with fender lips rolled tight in anticipation of running GY blue streaks all 4 corners on 6's. The reason I brought up was article in ESSES Nov 09 'white car' he is running 500L front 6" rim, 500M rear with R offset steelies They looked like they fit well but hard to say since it was sitting a bit high for my taste. I have 550L's mounted on 6's in the front and they clear fine and do not rub inner tub lock to lock which puts me one up on the 'white car' in the front. Have been on hold on rear size I now have a set of 7R offset's so wanted input. One thing that leads me to believe the 500M's will work W/O excess - camber is the Dunlop design has tread width much narrower than other brands with similar section width so fender burn MAY not be an issue. I will be running 19/26 TB's, 18 & 18 sways and Koni sports going to start @ full soft F & R. Have to wait on Harvey.
    Early 911S member #166

Thanks Raj indeed it helps. If the article is correct it ran with 550M's which have a whooping 9.5" section width and 6.5 tread that for now confirms my thinking Dunlop design would allow a 500M with an 8.7 section width and 6" tread to dodge the fender burn issue on a stock SWB rear. I'm still going to wait for Harvey to chime in.
    Early 911S member #166

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    harvey

posted these tire pictures you can guess each one?looking pretty wide and tall on some.Geez

Raj
    Tough one, it's going to take me a bit, perhaps never Raj
    Early 911S member #166

I'm also planning on having a second set of wheels equipped with Dunlop racing tyres on my 'long term' project.

Here are a couple of shots I took today which show the comparison of a 5.50M Dunlop with a 185/70 & 215/60 Avon CR6ZZ tyre (which I'll have on the other set of wheels):

Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

In the pic Raj posted the 2 right side are L's (I THINK) Andy's are M. The tread pattern is obviously different betwen the two (L/M) I wonder if that being true mixing is a no no. Also I wonder if there is a compound difference between the two. I have had a message into the US distributor but as of today no response.
    Early 911S member #166

here is what the factory spec'ed for circuit racing for the 911R

5.00M-15 front on 6
    4.75/10.0-15 rear on 7

Raj
    The 5.00M-15 is available but not the 4.75/10 from sources I have found. Anything about compound, tread difference between the L & M Raj? I know very little about factory R rear fenders I have read some had 69 type flair some not. Since I'm working with stock 67 slab side I quess I will have a hybrid with what's available now.
    Early 911S member #166

Hi Mark,

This SWB, from last years Monterey Historics, was running Goodyear 5.50 Blue Streaks all around. The rear fit looks snug.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Just heard from Dave @ Sasco regarding my inquires. There is no difference in compound or tread between the L & M. he described L is like 70 series, M like 60. Raj thanks for specs looks like NO way a 475 is going to work on my car but the car in the pic sure looks like it could take another few inches, so back to 500M rear. Brad stuffed indeed, I remember an article in Excellence the Bruce Jennings 67 was running 5.50 blue streaks with rolled lips that was/is still on my options list.
    Early 911S member #166

harvey

posted these tire pictures you can guess each one?looking pretty wide and tall on some.Geez

Raj
    215/60 Yoko, 550M, 500M Dunlops, 500, 550 Goodyear Blue Streaks for a Trans Am.
    The closest we could find to original for a 911R was the 500&550M Dunlop
    The drawback is the 550Ms are tall at 26" but the 475/1000 at 24.7" are a little shorter than the 500M at 25.5
    The L are about the same except narrower. They look like a earlier fittment to me.
    I'd better get busy on the 550M on the 6 SWB.....
    H