Thread: WANTED: Alu Rear Panel

WANTED: Alu Rear Panel

Car's in for some panels, paint and re-gapping . . . found out the rear alu panel is a repro , so . . . .

Looking for a useable/restorable, original rear panel.

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

What's different about the repro?
    scott kinder
    kindersport@gmail.com

Registry #614

9110220587 - 1973 RSR revival in progress
    My Car Thread: "Five-Eighty-Seven..."
    “If it isn't there, it didn't cost anything, it doesn't weigh anything and can't break." - From the philosophy of Grady Clay

Repro Alu Rear Panel

Original Porsche aluminum rear panels have the channel (that accepts the seal) spot-welded to the main panel. Apparently, spot-welding aluminum requires some stupid high amperages to do properly. The re-productions, while being spot-welded, inevitably fail because their spot-welds just aren't strong enough to hold. The channel on my car's panel was missing . . . and so was the seal!

The quick fix is to send out a repro panel and have that channel gas-welded. Which secures the channel, I guess . . . just not as elegant as an original.

One more 'bit' to keep an eye out for . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes

DynoDave

Aluminum Rear Panel

"What's different about the repro?"

The quality. In my experience, the edges at the transition from the bumperette area to the center and the horizontal indentations in the center section are generally not as crisp and sharp as the factory panels. Shape can sometimes be off as well.

Dave
    Member # 351

You'd think they'd have learned by now

Reading this and following the thread in General about Al decklids, I have to wonder why the aftermarket hasn't responded to these criticisms. It's not like there isn't a market for them, though I admit I don't know what the ROI is on the proper welding equipment and finishing tools and labor.

I've read good things about the repro decklids that TRE sources; hopefully someone can pick up the ball on the rear panels.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

As with the chrome horn grille repros, customers just aren't demanding quality. They will take ill-fitting Chinese repros to save a buck.

The alu engine lids that TRE sells are super high quality, but the price reflects that.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

The rear panels are just about impossible to find and when you do they are usually beat up pretty bad.
    72S, 72T now ST

'Beat' Parts . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    The rear panels are just about impossible to find and when you do they are usually beat up pretty bad.
    . . . . beat 're-pro' parts, any day. IMHO.

I've got a rear panel that I can make work. And the truth is --- most people will never know what's what. They'll hear 'aluminum,' and be done with it.

But I'll know.

So if there's a correct part, well, like I said, one more 'bit' to keep an eye out for . . .

Rick Kreiskott

We Can Be Heroes