Thread: What is the deal with duck tails?

Gearbox Professionals Erik@GBox's Avatar

What is the deal with duck tails?

Quick question and please don't think that I am being rude, I am simply ignorant on this subject. Why are they so expensive? I mean the fiberglass one from GT-Racing is not that bad, but I saw another one here that was hand done for nearly $2000.00, which seems way out there for a tail. Really nicely done don't get me wrong, but 2K. Ouch.

I was thinking that I would really like one for my car perhaps, at some point, so I was hoping that people could give me some advice on this.

Thanks for your comments.

Erik Johnson

Was it alloy framed? You get what you pay for with aftermarket parts. The better the fit, the more expensive. With fiberglass and carbon fiber, you can vacuum bag to get all the extra resin out to make it lighter. That costs money, too.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Real factory ones are made on steel or aluminum frames, they are rare and expensive. Even the metal framed reproductions are similar money, its a lot more work and you need a core lid. Also some racing associations require the OEM tail.
    Rob Abbott

Hi
    In general a ducktail that is made on a steel or alu frame fits alot better on the car. The lid is taking alot of heat from the engine and if you use cheap fibreglass resin it will sag or get waves. Carbon is alot less prone to waves. I think economical and practical get steel base fibre glass top with good resin.
    911 S Targa 68 11850243
    911 S 69 #119300002 Ex Dr.F Porsche
    911 ST Replica 72
    59 VW Deluxe Microbus 23 Window
    58 Durkopp Diana Scooter

i'd be interested in a half-tail duck, in the aesthetic spirit of the boxster/cayman rear spoilers, discrete. the normal ducktail, granted the historic appeal, looks too flared bell-bottomy to me. just an opinion.

has anyone seen or designed one a mini spoiler configuration for early 911 ? i guess adding a small length flap to the normal decklid as a 'mini-wing' could be done?

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

I was offered over $4000 for the tail on my 74. The 74 tail is unique in that the license plate light openings are blanked out. And the German-market 74 Carrera didn't come with a tail, so there is a demand there for the correct tail.

Like the Singer car's wing in "down" mode?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425