Thread: Rear bumper guards

Rear bumper guards

I have to replace my existing rear bumper guards with black rubber.

The car is a 70 911T, would it be odd to buy just the chrome rear bumper guards, or is the chrome and black rubber the better acceptable choice?

I know it is a matter of taste, but what does everyone else think between the two?

Would like to see pictures of mounted all chrome as well.

Thanks.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Here's a photo of my 70 with original chrome guards. The rubber trimmed guards were a factory option. I'll post some closeup front and rear if I can find them.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

Just my opinion but as a fellow '70T owner I'd have to say it's partly a function of whether your car was originally equipped with them. Rob's car has the narrow T rocker panel trim and wouldn't have come with rubber trimmed guards. Cars with S trim did, whether they were Ts, Es or Ss. My car has S trim and I recently replaced the rubbers with repros from Stoddard. I'm not 100% happy with the fit but I have been able to massage them into very close shape and I expect the shrinkage of the rubber over time to do the rest.

Do you still have your front bumper guards in place? Do they have rubber trim? If so you may want to keep the same look in the rear.

Ultimately it's a matter of which you prefer visually.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

I found the close up photos.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    356Robo
    64 C Coupe #218448(sold)
    70T Targa #9110110416(sold)

who cares

who cares what everyone else thinks? try taking your time and looking up other 911 with different guards, there are all over the place.
    Mike

I thought that USA cars had them and euro didn't. At least that's the way the USA and euro cars I've had have been.
    72S, 72T now ST

My 69T is a euro delivery car and it's a no options car so I have chrome bumpers. I've always wanted the rubber version from day one of ownership but the chrome has really grown on me. I find it harder to find the all chrome vs the rubber.

Here's a bit of info I learned - how can you tell if your car is a euro car? Besides the usual km/mph and the amber tail lights take a look at your rear window defroster lines. Do they cover the window from top to bottom? If so then its a US car. Euro cars only cover the mid section of the window. I might have heard wrong so please correct me if someone knows better.

Cheers