Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saab 900turbo 16V

Saab 900turbo 16V

Original post.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-09-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Ask Lewis Eig (sonett43) Raj ... he should be able to guide you.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

saabnet is one of the better resources, lots of decent cars out there, very few are great....after 25 years of being daily drivers, only a few unmolested cars exist.

but they are out there, and prices are pretty reasonable.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I sent you a private message.

David
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

Raj, they are out there. autotrader and saabnet. the former is where you might find coddled suburban specimens, the latter more the enthusiast.

i bought a 1992 philadelphia 900 N/A that had zero rust, was on autotrader.com. unfortunately i crashed it in icy weather after 2 yrs. solid dash, without cracks. bought for $1200, needed no work.

i then bought a 4-dr 1990T upstate NY car that had no rust, except for where there had been collision work, front fender, and inner doors, which was due to clogged drains. this was off saabnet. dash had cracks. 4-dr 89-92 Turbos are rare, most were hatchbacks. daily driver. bought for $900, needed rusty fender re-welded.

very solid cars. btw, the saabnet forum has a washington state dash re-manufacturer. basically peels off the vinyl skin from the core of the dash and re-skins with thicker gauge modern vinyl, maybe something worth thinking for early 911 dashes.

both engines were strong, considering both are way over 100,000miles, but smoothed out and actually pepped up noticeably the more miles i piled on. guessing that they were second cars, both were from lady previous owners, and some early-911 style motoring gave them back some groove...

i was telling Lewis that the 900 hatches evoke ducktailed early 911s from a brisk drive distance, ducktail/spoiler below window ! also strong rally cars for their era.

best of luck
    reza

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Raj,

I meant to ask you Sunday how the search was going???? There are plenty of these out there, but not many great ones.....even rust free cars often have a bunch of rust below the battery, where the inner fender meets the suspension point, not all that different from the most common rust on our early 911's.

Lewis
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    Anyone know a good resource to get a truly great example of a 900turbo

Raj
    I didn't see this thread until just now, but I saw one of these cars on the way to work this morning and found myself remarking just how cool it looked going down the road. The car was a little beat, but it was straight and had a killer body line and stance; I can definitely see the attraction.

Reminds me of the movie "Moving" with Richard Pryor...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

the music ain't bob marley, but the driver is german : )