Thread: Engine Relay Panel Plug Question

Engine Relay Panel Plug Question

Hi All-
    I'm in the process of returning my '73S back to the correct MFI engine and it looks like I'll need to do some engine compartment wiring changes. Can anyone tell me what the plug circled in the picture goes to on the engine and what it connects to on the car electronics?
    (the panel in the photo isn't exactly correct for my car, it's just the only example I could find of the plug)
    I'm trying to track down the correct parts before my engine transplant takes place in order to minimize my down time.

Thanks!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

That looks like the 14 pin connector that carries almost all (or maybe all) the electricity from the front fuse panel to the rear of the car. You'll need an appropriate wiring diagram to sort everything out. Haynes likely has most of it.
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

I have a spare panel with plug and wiring if you need one. $75 + shipping and it will include a regulator and a couple of relays. No MFI ignition box though.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

plug

the engine wiring harness has the mate to that plug. i may have the whole harness
    Mike

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147

14 pin plug

The plug circled accepts the main wiring harness for the car. The plug on the other end of the panel is for the engine. In later cars they eliminated the circled plug and hard wired into the relay panel. Gordon

Aha. Much clearer now. I'll be getting onto the wiring next week once the old engine is dropped. I think at this point I've determined that I'll need the MFI pump relay and maybe a speed sensor. I've attached a (poor) shot of the panel as it stands in the car now. I'll be switching out the 6-pin CDI for a 3-pin unit. Anything obvious that I should start shopping for?
    The help is much appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    the engine wiring harness has the mate to that plug. i may have the whole harness
    Thanks Mike. I should be getting the harness with the original engine but will surely let you know if I need your help.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '73 S Coupe #306