Page 102 of 108 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1079

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Rick, I for one agree with your decision to use less than pristine external parts on your rebuild. 50 year old cars have obtained a degree of patina that can’t be recreated. A bright shiny engine looks great on a concours restoration but out of place on an original car. As long as you antiseptically clean the internal parts and degrease the external’s it will look just right on your car. When I tore the engine down on my mostly original low mileage 69s I really had to fight the urge to use my bead blaster and buffer. In fact, I spent way more time using elbow grease to clean the Porsche motor than I did using said equipment on my Frame off restoration of my Datsun. It was the right choice for each car. Both engines are 100% clean and both look proper for the car.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

More 6301439 . . .

From TLG's Instagram . . .

'. . . Dressing up the 2.2S so it looks like a motor. The OG fan shroud is a masterpiece of patina that is impossible to replicate . . . . . .'

Marco couldn't say enough good things about Matt Blast's work. Lotta 'secret sauce' goin' on, here, with these throttle bodies, too

Love the way this OG shroud has mellowed. As the material heat-cycles, the surface crackles, then all the grease and schmutz from the engine's running seeps into all the little fissures and spider-webs the surface. Marco pointed out how thin these OG shrouds are, too. There 'll be some bigger washers used to attach all this --- spread-out the load at the attachments, save future damage

'. . . Sexy as fuck! I know how much some people like shiny-shiny. But for me? --- knowing what's in store for all this hardware? . . . all this little monster has to do is hold-together. For another 50 years. This whole exercise isn't about pretty . . . it's about driving. Can't wait . . .'

If I'm being a bit OCD about all these pictures and descriptions it's because everything here will prolly never be seen again in my lifetime

Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by LongRanger; 01-22-2023 at 03:52 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Truly beautiful and about time! Maybe just a tad of glue on the timing tag will save you grief later?

Fan Sticker

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfred View Post
    . . . Truly beautiful and about time! Maybe just a tad of glue on the timing tag will save you grief later? . . .
    Thanks, Fred

Regarding that sticker? . . .

. . . Marco had a poll on his Instagram --- about whether to change it or not

Like , >70% of the responses said 'change it'

Well, 'poll' this . . . no effing way!

I wanna leave it 'as is' . . . just keep an eye on it

And if it gets a little too loose? --- then, like you said . . . a dab o' glue

And if it falls off? . . .

. . . then we'll get all the pieces --- and glue them back!

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-22-2023 at 06:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 6301439 . . .

. . . non OEM

'. . . Turns out the exhaust I had is SSI not OEM. Doesn’t matter, though, because it’s better than the bits that came off the motor.

Brand new and freshly ceramic coated
    . . .'

Kinda schkipping ahead, here, I know . . . but they're only this clean once . . . and briefly

We Can Be Heroes

More 6301439 . . .

'. . . The injection pump is fully restored and the injectors have been cleaned and flow matched to the pump/cylinder location . . .'

'. . . some shots of the pump and fuel injectors (flow matched to the injection pump/cylinder and stamped by Gus) . . .'

C/o Gus Pfister, Pacific Fuel Injection Services

Last edited by LongRanger; 01-24-2023 at 07:36 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 6301439 . . .

. . . gratuitous 'glam' shots

Hey! --- I haven't driven this &%$^& in two years . . .

We Can Be Heroes

More 6301439 . . .

. . . some cool little details Marco pointed-out

Look at that one fuel line --- a little darker than the rest. Now, look at the nut securing the line to the pump, See that little 'step' at the top? That's a '72 bit. Who knows how long it's been there . . . but it's stayin'

Check out the scratchy fan strap. Marco says he's seen all kinds of Normas with their sizes stamped on them . . .

. . . but never on a fan strap --- '266'. . . and hell-ya, that's stayin'

Little touches that give the whole business some character

So much for concours

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Turns out the exhaust I had is SSI not OEM.
    Not according to the first pictures posted by you at the beginning of this thread or am I looking at wrong pictures?

Yes, USA-made SSI is definitely better than OEM. What is the purpose of ceramic coating stainless steel?

Your engine is coming along very nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    . . . Not according to the first pictures posted by you at the beginning of this thread or am I looking at wrong pictures? . . .

Hey, Blue . . .

Those were the OG units that were on the car when I 1st bought it, WAAAAY back

Then THOSE got changed out, 11 years back . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post589843

This is actually Marco's comment --- off of his Instagram . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    '. . . Turns out the exhaust I had is SSI not OEM. Doesn’t matter, though, because it’s better than the bits that came off the motor.

Brand new and freshly ceramic coated
    . . .'

. . . Yes, USA-made SSI is definitely better than OEM. What is the purpose of ceramic coating stainless steel? . . .
    OE came painted, so the ceramic coating just takes 'em back to OE-looking

. . . Your engine is coming along very nicely. . . .
    Thanks, blue. Not as pretty as some --- or as powerful . . . but I hope she's a sweet runner

Lotta love going into this one

We Can Be Heroes