Long Ranger: Ten Fifty-nine is a cool car with a fascinating story. I appreciate the leg work you did to learn about the car’s history. Hopefully some of those hand-written letters you sent will prove to be like long-lived messages in a bottle that’ll be discovered one day, somehow yielding the information you seek.

First, I’m crazy about Ten Fifty-nine’s color. I, too, have a car painted 8383. Mine is a 1971 Targa, so technically the code is 8310. If I ever need a repaint, I’ll reach out to John Esposito, who did a tremendous job with your car.

As a fan of you (I appreciate the perspective and energy you bring to many early911sregistry discussions) and your car, I find myself wanting to ask one question: have you ever considered re-painting the Porsche shield on the lower part of both front fenders?

To my eye, those shields are beautiful and a unique part of your car’s history. If you can firmly cement the link to the factory-racer program (and I think you have, but I’ve only quickly read your car’s fascinating story), I’d be inclined to go for it myself. Repainting them seems in line with your "originality" thrust; if you add originality to unique, you get what to me is an irresistible combination. The hassle would be to execute the painting to the caliber of the original. You are good at solving such challenges.

I’ll never be able to afford your car, but if I ever buy a coupe, your’s is the one I’d want. In addition to being a cool car, it would come with the good karma you’ve added.

Howard