Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

. . . Closer . . .

1) and 2) Both H1s fit beautifully

3), 4), and 5) Front bumper trim and seals
    Attached Images Attached Images      

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Almost . . .

Some exterior shots . . .

The car is with Tony and Marco, next door at TLG: brakes, seat, horns, etc.

We Can Be Heroes

. . . Just About . . .

Still needs its lettering, and license plate mounted.

We Can Be Heroes

Ten-fifty nine
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Very nice Rick.

Are you going to leave off the engine lid emblems?
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Plain

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    . . . Are you going to leave off the engine lid emblems?
    Thanks, Brian! . . .

No, no -- everything's gonna go back on. Those pictures were taken when John took the car next door to TLG to get the mechanical issues taken care of. All the rest of the bits will go on, when it comes back.

When the whole business of the bodywork first came up, I'd thought about maybe leaving some of the trim off, taking the car's equipment down to something like the factory's light-weights, maybe re-doing the car as a stripper.

But . . . . 1059's no racer. And frankly . . . neither am I.

And I like the looks of these cars stock. The rocker and bumper decos, the window trim, little bits of bright work around the turn signals . . . nice, understated, tidy, to me. And the shiny bits couldn't weigh that much. Besides, I knocked a few pounds off with the alu panels --- just nobody can tell!

So this time? All I want is a nice, clean, stock 911S, a regular car that I can drive for fun, every chance I get.

But next time? . . . I've been thinking about a narrow-body car --- no flairs, no spoilers, no extra lights --- but all 'glass and alu (and balsa!), zero trim, no back seat, no door-panels, perlon head-liner, no under-coating --- really go crazy, try to get a 911 down under 1800 lbs . . . looking something like this:

We Can Be Heroes

'Money'

Done with the panels, gaps, and paint.

Picked the car up on Friday, 01-Oct. Had my buddy Dave take me up --- he doesn't drive much outside of South Orange County, so taking his big-a$$ Jag into the swamp that is Friday traffic in LA was hellish. (45 min from LaX to the Pass? Gimme air-support! Or let me drive.)

Traffic in Southern California is stupid --- but after 30-years of practice, well . . . I think of it sorta like Rubik's cube --- with cars. I just jump in and start moving stuff around. There is a definite logic to it. SoCal freeways haven't fundamentally changed in about a decade so I know all the slow spots, short-cuts, sneak-arounds . . . where I can be naughty, where to be nice. Turns driving in that mess into a game that keeps me from melting down. So watching my buddy Dave flounder-around out there for a couple of hours. . . 'bout as relaxing as an Eastern European dental clinic.

Anyway, John and Marco hung out for us, and we finally got there around 5:30?, took care of business, took some pics, left. TLG's bill for the mechanical issues (rebuilding the front calipers, oil change --- Brad Penn, etc) came to $1088 and included $75 for a '70 electric window switch that Tony found. '70 is the first year for electric windows and, wouldn't you know it --- the set-up is unique; got a spare switch for whenever --- now all I need is the window motor.

Saw everybody next morning at Camarillo, but didn't take any pictures of the car until Sunday.

Anyway, here are the 'money' shots . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-27-2010 at 12:16 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 'Money' . . .

No longer original . . .

. . . .but not restored, either . . .

I'm calling this a beautiful re-finish of lucky car.

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-27-2010 at 12:20 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More 'Money' . . .

1059 already has a couple hundred miles on it, since I picked it up. John waxed it, so . . . .

Already driven on some fresh asphalt, trailed some gravel trucks, even locked the brakes up a coupla times (' . . . oh yeah --- threshold braking --- that's right.')

Everything opens and closes smoothly . . . finger pressure --- even the doors. Ping. Soft new seals, everywhere, but everything fits flush. Practiced opening and closing the alu lid . . . just to watch it glide open, feel it snick shut. Trunk, too. John has a real thing about closures and latches and how stuff works --- and I can tell . . . like, every time I open and close anything. Slick, delicate, precise. The time and effort it took, to make all this stuff work like that . . .

Just stared at it for a few minutes, in the garage, Friday night, after I got home. I'll have other cars. But this one? . . . . this is my dream car.

And the dash will always be cracked . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 10-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

The Group . . .

. . . Marco, me, and John . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 10-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.

We Can Be Heroes