Page 51 of 108 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Rick,

I have read every one of your posts from day 1. Keeping updated on 1059 is one of the highlights of reading the Registry. I was really excited and happy for you when I read about the Siffert connection. Have you booked your flight to Stuttgart yet?

Here is another pics of a Siffert 911 (w swiss front plates).
    Maybe at le Mans or while filming LM.
    (Pics from Curt Egerer thread).
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-28-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Maybe "the 2.4 style" front spoiler was on this Dec 69 built 2.2S from day one.
    It would have a front spoiler two years before it appeared on 72 cars.
    Just found this:
    "A little off-topic here but here is evidence that the "S" spoiler existed before 1972.
    Jashford's 1971 911-S was picked up at the factory by the first owner and equipped with some really interesting pieces. The front spoiler is one of them. The car came with 2 sets of driving lights. The spoiler was designed for the second set of lights to fit into the cut outs not unlike the standard valence. It's always been that way.
    The Larrousse car has a "glass" spoiler. John's is metal and anyone who has seen it will acknowledge that it wasn't done in somebody's back yard. There is entirely too much care and craftsmanship for that to have happened.
    The first owner who is an attorney (and who raced at Sebring and other places) ordered the car the way he wanted and we all know that Porsche would do just about anything to make a customer happy. Here's John's spoiler again for anyone interested."

Source: Random Historical Racing Pics/Curt Egerer

Registry member No.773

Small World

I just found out that Lou Scalzo (PO) bumped into John Forbes --- my PPI Mechanic . . . while they were at the inaugural Pinehurst Concours

Had to do some brow-beating --- but I just got this photo from Lou . . . 'cause --- 'if you don't take a photo, it's like it never happened'

. . . and there's That Guy, again!

Don't look now, Buddy . . . but I think John's 'found' your wallet
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 05-28-2013 at 04:19 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by 911T1971 View Post
    Just found this:
    "A little off-topic here but here is evidence that the "S" spoiler existed before 1972.
    Jashford's 1971 911-S was picked up at the factory by the first owner and equipped with some really interesting pieces. The front spoiler is one of them. The car came with 2 sets of driving lights. The spoiler was designed for the second set of lights to fit into the cut outs not unlike the standard valence. It's always been that way.
    The Larrousse car has a "glass" spoiler. John's is metal and anyone who has seen it will acknowledge that it wasn't done in somebody's back yard. There is entirely too much care and craftsmanship for that to have happened.
    The first owner who is an attorney (and who raced at Sebring and other places) ordered the car the way he wanted and we all know that Porsche would do just about anything to make a customer happy. Here's John's spoiler again for anyone interested."

Source: Random Historical Racing Pics/Curt Egerer

That's John Ashford's photo and my text. No copyright suit. Hell, maybe we offer Bunkie some credit. He's still practicing law!

The spoiler was from the "Bunkie Bowles" 71 911-S. John and I worked on the car waaay back in the early 80's for the 2nd or 3rd owner. John was to able to purchase it from that owner a few years ago and has done a complete restoration since. It's just about done now. It is a great story of how a car and its original engine were re-united.

The car had an ST tank in it which John sold that after purchasing the car while folks were paying silly money for them.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Just found this.
    EDITED:
    Austrian GP österreichring.
    August 16th. 1970 or August 15th 1971. (year info not clearly provided)
    On the lower right a light blu Jag as well as a green 911.
    In 1970, Siffert drove at March Team, in 1971 at BRM Yardley, Transporters on the upper left corner.

(Photo by Dieter Schlegelmilch, "Formula 1 in Camera 1970 - 1979", book by Paul Parker)

Last edited by 911T1971; 05-28-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Right-hand Antenna . . .

Hey, Karim . . .

Ever since you started showing pictures of Siffert's 'green' cars --- I've been looking, too

This is the best photo, yet . . .

. . . right-hand antenna!

Too bad about the sun-roof

We Can Be Heroes

You're right about the sunroof, didnt notice. Maybe Milou's ex car. Or both not.

I actually think you need to scan paddock pics and F1 is better since Siffert usuallly drove to the european circuits with his 911 and parked it right next to the team cars.

-
    Last edited by 911T1971; 04-30-2014 at 11:11 AM.
    Registry member No.773

End-of-May, '13 . . .

We were going to the Friends of Steve McQueen Car Show that week-end . . .

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Steve-McQueen

. . . so I took The Nasty Car with me out to Simi Valley on Friday.

Took the day off, too . . .

SoCal freeways are a lot nicer during off-peak hours --- less congestion/traffic = faster progress . . . but still --- I came about thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to balling-up 1059 --- courtesy of one of those oh-wait --- THAT’s-my-offramp/kamikaze lane changes that makes our so-called traffic so entertaining. I’d seen this little red car, bouncing around in her lane, from a few cars/lanes back . . . driver seemed kinda tentative in traffic, you know? But there was nothing tentative about her mad-Glen-Beck-dash-right at Carson Blvd --- she just ripped over two lanes, then spiked her brakes, right in front of me . . . whereupon I executed what I thought was a pretty smart/surgically-tidy little evasive maneuver into the lane next . . . which --- as it transpired . . . was already maybe-sorta-about-to-be-occupied

Liiiittle tight

I’d’ve horned her, too --- but . . . they’re not exactly hooked-up, yet . . . loose wire + tap on hub bolts = less-than-timely/safe/smart, etc-etc . . .

Good thing Porsches are small . . .

Anyway, any cruise-missiling out to The Valley during day-time + week-day = a stop by TLG and John’s, so . . .

Tony and Marco are busy/happy. Lotsa cars + projects + stuff going on. Cars on lifts, parked inside + out + hither + yon . . . even next door . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-03-2013 at 12:31 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

More End-of-May, '13 . . .

Unscathed

Have I ever mentioned how lucky I am? With Zovig, The Nasty Car, Tony + Marco + John?

And, oh-yeah . . . Friday was Tony's B-Day!

Why doesn't anybody tell me this stuff, huh?
    Last edited by LongRanger; 06-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.

We Can Be Heroes