-Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

St Patrick's Day, '23 . . .

. . . puttin' on the green

Yeah --- 1059 came home today

27 months + $49240 = one lovely stupid-stock air-cooled anachronism

Got up early and took a coupla buses and the Metrolink out to North Hollywood and picked her up. Then? . . . ran down to Ventura, hit the Patagonia store (aka Great Pacific Iron Works), then swung by Fillmore + Santa Clarita on the way home. Nothing crazy --- kept the revs between 2500 and 4500 (mostly) . . . with occasional bursts to maybe 6k . . . just enough to let her stretch out a little. Still feels like the same car . . . just smoother and steadier. And the way she starts! --- just turn the key and woomf! . . . Marco worked really hard to get that to happen

I'm supposed to bring the car back after 1500 miles --- to change-out the oil and check some torques . . . so I'll do my best

And I couldn't be more pleased

Attached Images Attached Images          

We Can Be Heroes

I didn’t reread the whole thread, but was 27 months and 49k just for the engine rebuild?

Great news! Not cheap but good for another 50 years now. What did Marco do to the start system? I assume you don't have the sprinklers in the airbox connected.

Your car looks terrific -- I just picked up a 1970 2.2S a few weeks ago so they would make great twins (on another continent though). Will be writing up a topic about that.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    I just picked up a 1970 2.2S a few weeks ago
    Elfenbeinweiss (medium ivory) is a nice colour. Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    I didn’t reread the whole thread, but was 27 months and 49k just for the engine rebuild?
    Yes. It was.
    -Marco

Thanks Marco, just wanted to show my customers what a quality complete rebuild cost. MFI , mag case engines consume a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    Thanks Marco, just wanted to show my customers what a quality complete rebuild cost. MFI , mag case engines consume a lot of money.
    It's getting more difficult and more expensive to keep this old hardware running. This particular job was a victim of COVID-related shut downs, supply line issues, and staffing issues at the machine shop.

However, I stored the car for the entirety of the project, and I honored my labor pricing from when I started the job despite having raised my shop rate twice since the project began. I probably ended up breaking even or losing money on this engine overhaul ... but for 1059 it was worth it.

Rick's only instructions for me was that he wanted the engine dead stock (no pressure fed tensioners; not even the oil bypass mod), he didn't want it to be too shiny, and that he wanted me to have fun with the project.

Job complete.
    -Marco