Page 106 of 109 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1087

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    The problem was the plastic stacks catching fire, not the cold start system itself. The fix is the metal velocity stacks ... a part that was a factory retrofit by Porsche.

I've installed a 2.2L style cold start system onto a set of MFI high butterfly SCRS intakes ... works like a champ and never an issue due to the metal velocity stacks.
    Thanks, good to know!

Car feels kiiiinda scary . . . and more-than-a-little, actually
    Maybe take it for an alignment? Check all the suspension bushings etc. It should feel lightweight but not scary. Although my 2.2 is certainly a little edgier than the 2.4T Targa.

Must be quite a hardship to stay below 4500 rpm all this time!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Easter '23

Took 1059 out for some more 'break-in' miles, this morning . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1150589

After all of the rain, this season, our desert out here is just about bursting. Pretty amazing to see. I've seen water flowing in places like I've never seen before. Doesn't really do anything about our water problem . . . but it is nice to see a real Spring for a change

Anyway, Marco wants to see the Nasty Car back after ~1500 miles/2500 km . . . and 466 km, so far, means I need to do some more driving, soooo . . .

. . . wanna try to make it up to EASY's, next month

We shall see

Meanwhile --- it is noyce to have a familiar resident (+ residue) back in the garage, again!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LongRanger; 04-09-2023 at 07:27 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Breaking-in

Took the car out to Acton + environs, week-end before last . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1151488

. . . then last Friday, swung by TLG for some adjustments + stuff

Biggest item was to adjust a high idle when the car comes to a stop, after warming up. Up to now, I’ve been leaving the car in gear and just dragging down the engine as I slow with the brakes. Marco pulled out just about the longest screwdriver I've ever seen, then proceeded to twingle, so everything 's better now. But as 6301439 loosens up, there ‘ll prolly be more of this

And that little engine ‘s been performing really well, too. Have a couple of small drips, and added about a half quart of oil (straight 30W) --- to put the level at the middle of the stick . . . but that’s about it, oil-wise. And the Nasty Car ‘s still as cold-blooded as ever --- even running at >4k for miles + uphill (!) . . . oil temp barely tops 80C indicated

Blinkers are back on-line, but the hazard switch looks to be kaput. Marco also got some hardware to re-install the pass-side seat belts, so 1059 is passenger-ready, once again

Meanwhile, I expect to hit the EASY show, this Saturday --- which 'll go a long way to adding-up the break-in miles. Anyway, I'll need to leave my place around 0100 to get to Emeryville sorta on-time --- but I also remembered my headlights are shyte, sooooooo . . .

. . . more on that, next week

Last edited by LongRanger; 05-01-2023 at 06:47 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

May '23

Been gradually putting-on some more miles, the last few weeks --- coming-up on the 1500 miles/2500 km Marco wants before he sees the Nasty Car, again

Started-off the month with a quick drive up to the EASY Show in Emeryville . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1153208

1059 did just fine, thank you. Most of my driving is on open roads and highways, so I’ve been doing an Old School break-in --- varying the gears/revs . . . 5th/3000 for a while, then 4th/3500, back to 5th/2700, then 3rd/4000, usw . . . all the while, slowly building-up the revs --- hitting ~5000 (woo-HOO!) every now-and-again

But mostly? . . . I’m just letting everything settle-in. This isn’t a race car. And I’m painfully aware of how small and vulnerable this thing is --- I hold my breath at every stoplight, watching people roll up on me from behind . . . so I look for places with light traffic . . . and just try to enjoy myself

After not having driven her for a coupla years (!), I almost forgot how noisy this thing is. I mean, even through the metal air cleaner --- Man, this car is rowdy! Stock Leistritz muffler? Booms + rumbles like nobody’s business --- and sounds amazing. Only thing that’s kinda bothersome is the wind noise coming through the doors around the front quarter windows. I remember the OG door seals had a pudgy part that supposedly blocked-off the source of all that hissing --- something the replacements here don’t have . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...l=1#post793089

. . . so, anyway, need to maybe MacGyver-up something?

Then/again --- 5 minutes in the car? . . . and I forget all about it!

Nasty Car is fast. Feels good, too! --- in a straight line, anyway. The Pirellis are still sorta fresh --- even though they’re ~3 years-old, they went on not long before the re-build, sooo . . . prolly <5k km on ‘em? They ride nice-enough but I haven't really been leaning on 'em just yet. And having a fresh engine --- even on break-in . . . it’s still no problem to put up some serious speed. Gearing is long --- 4k in 5th is, like, 130 kph/80 mph . . . so, tooling around town, I’m usually in 3rd. Haven’t checked the fuel economy --- but I’m not really paying much attention to it. Yet

One thing I’ve noticed --- the fuel gauge is only registering HALF of the tank’s capacity. ! Which is gonna mess with any determination of what’s left in the tank. And I understand there’s a different sender for the 100l tank . . . but there’s also a different gauge, as well . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1117394

So. Not having that gauge means that tracking available fuel? . . . requires watching the odometer . . . having some idea of the car's fuel economy . . .

. . . then calculating/estimating/trusting? how much fuel 's in the vahicle

Gulp

Anyway . . . coupla things are still a little 'suss'

Coming back from EASY’s, as I was getting off the freeway and heading home on surface streets, engine felt a bit ‘off’ --- gave a sorta ‘shudder,’ for lack of a better term . . . like a miss or something, definitely down a bit on power + especially smoothness. It was pulling this same nonsense just before the re-build so I was . . . perturbed. Called Marco, described it, ‘look at it when ya come in’ . . .

Coil is NOS, distributor ‘s already been re-built --- + the engine has less than 30 hours on it! . . . so I’m already thinking fuel pump/fuel line/fuel tank, fuel-something

But taking her out last week-end? . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1153546

. . . nothing

Started fine, ran fine, ran her up to 5k (‘Tijuana tune-up’), and she felt GREAT! Whatever. I'll let Marco do a look-see when she goes back in --- 26.May

The other thing . . . is the turn-signals. Oh, the lights work fine --- but all they do is 'light' . . . no 'blink'

All I can say is --- now ‘s the time for things to be a-breaking . . . and getting any/all the tweaking + fiddling sorted-out

Got us a little trip coming-up

PS The Kienzle (dash clock) actually works pretty good! Ok-ok --- so it's no snappy stopwatch or anything . . . but it's not exactly dash ballast, either. Loses ~5 min/day = good-enough for getting somewhere . . . for me anyway

Last edited by LongRanger; 11-25-2023 at 06:11 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

'CH' Tag

Been thinking about putting on a ‘CH’ tag on 1059 for a while, now . . . to bring the car back to what I believe it would’ve looked like Back in the Day

I looked at several photos to get some ideas about what this tag should look like. Various period photos have shown-up, here, as well as some others associated with the ‘Le Mans’ movie . . . including several screen-grabs I took from the film

It’s funny . . . but these tags don’t really seem to get much mention. And I don’t see them on any of the cars here, on our site

Anyway, I have only seen one photo of a car, known to ‘ve belong to Mr Siffert, with a CH tag in place. And I’m not sure of just when that photo was taken --- or when the tag was placed . . . but its dimensions and placement seem to generally line-up with the few other period photos I’ve seen

So, I went on-line and looked for what might be offered for sale. To me, there’s nothing too difficult about the tag itself --- a white oval, solid black lettering, with a thin black pin-strip along the border . . . and, sure-enough --- there were multiple vendors with decals they were offering. But the ones I looked at --- closest were 4” by 6” . . . seemed too small

I looked long and hard at the period photograph of 9111301180, Milou’s old car when it was in Switzerland with a previous owner --- a picture I felt was the best example of a period CH tag. In that picture, the oval extends roughly one letter’s-worth out past the 911S letters on the hood . . . total length I estimated to be ~7 inches

But I could find no 7”-wide tags on offer

So. I did some looking for vendors who could maybe make a custom tag

Found a bunch --- picked this one . . . Sticker Mule . . .
    https://www.stickermule.com/?utm_sou...SAAEgLvlvD_BwE

The way this outfit works is you send them a picture of what you want, format it on their web-site using their tools, submit the result, approve a ‘proof,’ then pay for it . . . all on-line

I’d purchased some 6” tags, already --- just to see how they looked. I was OK with everything but the size, so I made a jpeg of a 6” tag, then went over to the Sticker Mule site, formatted my image to 7” x 4” --- and submitted it. Proof came back a few days later --- looked fine to me . . . so I placed an order for 10 tags --- altogether (~$30)

Order came in a week later

Nice, sturdy-enough feeling vinyl

Cleaned + waxed a spot on the engine cover . . . + presto!

Not so sure about the font --- looks a bit small, chubby + 'rounded' to me . . . but the overall size looks about right

And I’ll stick on the repro CH plate --- for display . . .

Last edited by LongRanger; 06-06-2023 at 06:29 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Jun '23

1059 had her 2nd post-re-build/break-in service . . .
    • 1000 (~1500, in my case) mi service
    • oil + filter
    • adjust valves
    • torque heads
    • check/adjust MFI
    • Check/fix turn signals + flasher
    • replace blown fuses
    • clean some contacts
    • fresh supply of old-ass fuses
    • Fix cigarette lighter
    • Adjust ride-height
    • Align

And Marco also installed that heater hose I was buggin' him about

Anyway --- just >$800, altogether

Marco says I won't need to do this again for 10k mi

All I can say is . . .

. . . Nasty Car runs great!

Been tooling around on week-ends, just driving it . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1154888
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=1#post1156003

Gave her her first bath --- with me, anyway . . . in about 2 1/2 years. Dusted-off the inside, sprayed some UV-protectant on the tires + rubber trim . . . and that's about it. Prolly 'll fix-up the Faktory seats, next, but . . . I'm not in hurry

Jus' me, for right now

Last edited by LongRanger; 06-27-2023 at 06:46 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Awesome! Off to a summer of road trips and enjoyment!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Looking fabulous!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

'CH' Tag --- Deuxième Partie

. . . found the right font --- or, at least a more-accurate one

So, I cobbled together a 2nd sample, and sent that off this evening . . . same outfit, Sticker Mule

Should have a proof, tomorrow

Now? --- all I gotta do is figure-out how to get the other sticker off the lid!

We Can Be Heroes

More 'CH' Tag --- Deuxième Partie . . .

Took a few tries back-and-forth --- but here's what we came up with . . .

. . . roughly 7" by 5"

Last edited by LongRanger; 07-21-2023 at 01:49 PM.

We Can Be Heroes