Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1079

Thread: Ten Fifty-nine

You can't take any of it with you when your ticket is up, Rick.
    I love the approach and the mindset.
    Enjoy in good health

Bryce
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Time and Money . . . and Honor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cabell View Post
    . . . was 27 months and 49k just for the engine rebuild? . . .
    Hi, Rick . . .

. . . you saw Marco's answer

This job was basically all about just putting an old car back to the way it was when it was new --- your basic re-build back to stock . . . which, as you can see, wasn't quick, easy or inexpensive. But that's not why we took that approach --- to 'keep it stock' . . . and I say 'we' because this is as much Marco's engine as it is mine

But it's also Porsche's. Still

Yes, there's been machine work done and parts replaced and some things changed + 'improved' . . . but only as little as practical or necessary. The result is something that I hope honors what Porsche did . . . an engine that is as close to what they built half-a-century ago as we could reasonably manage

This car will go on --- long after it leaves my garage . . . and I just hope that Next Owner will look at this car and marvel --- as I do . . . at what a lovely thing Porsche built

I'm just glad Marco took this job and saw it through, and that the results are what they are. This was not an easy project, at all. But he and I are on the same page about what's going on here. And I was fortunate enough to be in a position to be able to do this, now . . . and that Marco was willing to take part

And, yeah . . . I hug my more-than-a-Mechanic

Could not do this without cha, Buddy

Last edited by LongRanger; 03-19-2023 at 03:58 PM.

We Can Be Heroes

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    . . . I just picked up a 1970 2.2S a few weeks ago so they would make great twins (on another continent though) . . .
    Good for you, Frederik! I'd like to hear about your car --- and your impressions of driving it. I think you'll really enjoy it

For me --- the 2.2 cars are the 'sweet spot' for early 911s . . . but really, any of the 66mm-crank cars. Those short-stroke engines are wonderful and huge fun to drive

. . . Will be writing up a topic about that . . .
    Yes-yes --- please do! Stories like that are why I come here

And try to include any pictures --- if you have them? . . .

. . . especially the bad ones!

Last edited by LongRanger; 04-02-2023 at 04:43 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

Would love to hear the related stories of Marco’s engine rebuild.

What were some of the challenges? Which parts were hardest to source? Hardest to get to work correctly? Which parts were found to be aftermarket?

And, of course, would love to see pics! Thanks for this continuing story.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Good for you, Frederik! I'd like to hear about your car --- and your impressions of driving it. I think you'll really enjoy it
    Thanks and will do! So far I just drove it home from the seller but it's much more engaging than my 2.4T. Easier to drive around town than I expected based on what I read -- you can putter around doing 2-3000 rpm all day. But then, around 4000 rpm the engine starts to become more vocal and you get a definite kick in the back around 5500. All the way to 7000, shift to 3rd, and do it again... I can't wait to take it to some nicer roads. I did a PPI with a mechanic I know well and we both thought that the engine could do a little better still so it's now at my local shop for a complete tune-up.

Also I can't believe how much nicer a coupe is to drive than a Targa regarding wind noise. You could actually drive the coupe as a daily.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Element

Wanted to make sure I circled back to this topic

. . . did Marco do to the start system? I assume you don't have the sprinklers in the airbox connected . . .
    Oh-no-no-no --- if Porsche put it there? . . . then it's still there . . . and working

The only change made was switching from plastic intake trumpets to metal ones

And the car starts perfectly! . . .

. . . but if anything ever does go sideways? . . . there's always the Element
    https://elementfire.com/

And everybody always carries an extinguisher in their car, anyway --- riiiiiiiiiiight?

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

Now I see why you mentioned checking the engine bay for fires after each cold start.

In my 2.4T, I reconnected the cold start system because it sprays low into the intakes so this eliminates the fire risk -- and it started way better with the cold start system connected. With the 2.2 though, I'm leaving it disconnected. It starts pretty easily without it and it just seems too fragile to me. I can see why you want to have it for originality's sake though!
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Now I see why you mentioned checking the engine bay for fires after each cold start.

In my 2.4T, I reconnected the cold start system because it sprays low into the intakes so this eliminates the fire risk -- and it started way better with the cold start system connected. With the 2.2 though, I'm leaving it disconnected. It starts pretty easily without it and it just seems too fragile to me. I can see why you want to have it for originality's sake though!
    The problem was the plastic stacks catching fire, not the cold start system itself. The fix is the metal velocity stacks ... a part that was a factory retrofit by Porsche.

I've installed a 2.2L style cold start system onto a set of MFI high butterfly SCRS intakes ... works like a champ and never an issue due to the metal velocity stacks.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Seat Time

Well --- been driving the car, again . . . so we’re sorta getting re-acquainted. It’s not just that it’s been a while since --- 1059 feels a LOT different, now

A lot is familiar . . . the lovely un-assisted steering, the pedals, the way the door closes, and all the touch-points, really, are the same. So’s the gearbox --- just as twingly and ‘interesting’ as before. So ‘re the smells, the heft of the controls, the feel of the seat and the view --- in and out of the car

But the engine? --- and the car’s ‘character’?. . . very different, now. Strangely smooth and well-mannered toddling around town. K, maybe an occasional spit-in-a-pie-tin warming-up, but that’s about it . . . happy enough (if I can call it that) to just potter-along in town. And still absolutely dead --- as in zero torque . . . below 3k. The 901 (actually stamped ‘911’) still takes the same concentration + dexterity to accurately + smoothly change --- I’m just double-clutching pretty-much all of the time, now . . . but I still buzzed a couple of changes --- usually when slowing down, turning, then merging into traffic. Gotta concentrate and NOT hurry . . . rookie stuff

Meanwhile – back to the engine

All that smoothness I mentioned doesn’t diminish with revs. Just the opposite. Motor has a wonderful, lusty, roar that increases pitch with speed. I’m supposed to put 2500 km on the car, then bring it back, so I’m still taking it pretty easy --- staying between 2500 and 4500 in town, and only really working the engine in the higher gears . . . = no drag-racing

But out on the highway? Pulling from 4k, the torque shows up and the acceleration gets pretty heady . . . as in the car is fast --- really fast

Which brings up another thing

Car feels kiiiinda scary . . . and more-than-a-little, actually

It’s pretty apparent from even casually blatting around town that 1059 is light. Even at moderate speeds, the car literally flies over the road . . . but it all feels strangely outta-control to me --- like, riding a sheet of cardboard down my Gramma’s staircase. Oh yes --- very fun + fast . . . but I don’t exactly feel ‘in control’ as to where I end up . . . or how things might turn-out . . .

. . . as in boom-shak-laka

Not really the car’s fault . . . thinking it’s the seat’s

Unlike the (modern) Recaro I had in my BMW, the Scheel in this car has a poor hold on my upper body, like, at all. So as soon as I pick up the pace and swing the Nasty Car into a corner . . . I’m left hanging-off the steering wheel just to keep myself upright. I originally got the Scheel ‘cause I thought it was a cool little ‘period’ bit --- but also because it’s silly-light. And comfortable enough, I suppose --- as long as I stay skinny . . .

. . . but when 1059 starts ‘flying’? . . . sitting in that Scheel is just no fun

Thing is --- looking at some of the other seats from this time . . . I’m not sure the ‘period’ alternatives are any better

And, NO --- I’m not installing a modern shell . . . not yet, anyway

In the meantime, I need put ~2500 kms on the car . . .

. . . tough job

Need to check the MpG sometime, too

Thank (your deity here) for CostCo

Attached Images Attached Images  

We Can Be Heroes

I am a little surprised you say that the Scheel seat does not hold you in. I put a Scheel 101 in one of my cars and it’s fine. On the other hand maybe your aggressive driving is more than mine. Maybe you will have to put a GT3 RS seat in your car with it wrapping around your shoulder blades!